DSL Problem (Mac steals MAC?)

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
My sister has Verizon DSL (She's switching to FIOS) and a Gateway PC running Windows XP. Everything was fine in her Internet world until last weekend when my mother brought down her Mac mini. I don't know why she brought her Mac mini, but she did.

So I hook up her mini to my sister's DSL modem so we can get on the same damned Internet as the PC gets because my mom is like a child when she gets a toy and everyone has to see it whether they like it or not.

So I finally yell at her enough to get her to let my sister and her family have their computer back and once I get the mini put away and the Gateway hooked back up it simply will not get the DNS and gateway from the modem. It won't work. It claims to have the IP address, but not the connection-specific DNS or gateway.

What the hell?

I hooked the Mac back up, did a release and renew, worked fine.

Hook the PC back up, nothing.

What the hell?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    randycat99randycat99 Posts: 1,919member
    This may be a dumb question, but did you check to see if your PC is set for automatic IP addressing, or did someone put in a static IP?
  • Reply 2 of 3
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    get your sister a Mac mini
  • Reply 3 of 3
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    seriously though grove, maybe we'll run through some checklist?

..static IP or PPPoE dynamic IP on the dsl modem?

..do you need DNS entries? in windows TCP/IP config?

..is the DSL modem just a modem and not a router?

IMHO if it is a router then you need to worry about release/renew and MAC address filtering, etc...

just thinking aloud here...