How are the new 2.0 DP G5's better than rev2?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Besides the superdrive (easily upgraded) and the video card? The old ones have PCI-X and an 8GB RAM limit...

I don't get it

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    algolalgol Posts: 833member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wienerdog

Besides the superdrive (easily upgraded) and the video card? The old ones have PCI-X and an 8GB RAM limit...

I don't get it

they're 500 dollars cheaper?
  • Reply 2 of 8
    kwsanderskwsanders Posts: 327member
    Yes, that is what sold me on the dual 2.0 GHz system. I put the $500 saved towards a 20" Cinema display.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    inakainaka Posts: 29member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wienerdog

I don't get it

I don't either. And you can buy the Rev B. 2.0Ghz machine for $1899 too now...
  • Reply 4 of 8
    wienerdogwienerdog Posts: 35member
    Quote:

Originally posted by inaka

I don't either. And you can buy the Rev B. 2.0Ghz machine for $1899 too now...

inaka gets me, this is exactly my point. revC's are $500 cheaper than the *old* revB price - a brand new revB is $600 cheaper than that now...
  • Reply 5 of 8
    andrewsandrews Posts: 4member
    How about this.....

Get a Rev B. 2.0 GHz with the 8 RAM slots and PCI-X. If you've already got a nicer video card like a Radeon 9800 Pro, put it into the G5 box - I did exactly this with mine. Then go to http://xlr8yourmac.com/tips/FlashingDVR-117guide.html and flash the Pioneer D117 in the G5 Rev B. to a Pioneer 108 - you'll get 16X DVD-R burning and Dual Layer support.

This way, you'll have everything the new 2.0GHz has plus the PCI-X and 8 RAM slots.

Plus, I found the Rev B. 2.0GHz for $100 cheaper than the new (Rev C.) with a free 1GB of RAM included. It's a no brainer...
  • Reply 6 of 8
    inakainaka Posts: 29member
    Interesting flashing idea. I may try that, but on the PC side, you can get an OEM NEC 3520a 16x dual-layer DVD burner that is a fine drive for $49 bucks, which seems like a nice option as well with no risk of damage to your G5.

I can't see how the current 2.0's are a better option than the older Rev. B's. If you go with a mail order house, and get a free gig of ram, no tax and free shipping for $1899, the Rev. B is the way to go. If you get the free ram on a new Rev. C 2.0Ghz G5, then your slots are all filled when you get the machine. Not good. Also, you get Tiger for just $10, so you have both panther and tiger to have a virtual zoo under the hood if need be.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    wienerdogwienerdog Posts: 35member
    I just picked up a revB for the equivalent of $1610. It's a floor model that saw about 10 days on display in a *dead* computer dept. It's pristine. I just ate my dinner off it
  • Reply 8 of 8
    My Rev B 2.0 ran $1699 education and I'll be getting back another $100

with the education store rebate.

The money I saved helped me pay for my Dell 24" display.

This is a fantastic system for less than a well equipped 17" PB