Can New PowerMacs / iMacs run on Panther?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Does anyone know if the new upgraded hardware will run on Panther as opposed to Tiger? I'm looking to buy new G5 but it don't fancy running Tiger until the bugs are addressed. \

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find it posted anywhere else.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by telekon

Does anyone know if the new upgraded hardware will run on Panther as opposed to Tiger? I'm looking to buy new G5 but it don't fancy running Tiger until the bugs are addressed. \

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find it posted anywhere else.

by the time you order this new hardware and receive it, 10.4.1 will be out. also, if its a new machine, you can't lose old files because there aren't any.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    telekontelekon Posts: 54member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

by the time you order this new hardware and receive it, 10.4.1 will be out. also, if its a new machine, you can't lose old files because there aren't any.

err.. who said anything about losing old files?

10.4.1 may well be out soon, but there is little guarantee that the teething-bugs will be fixed in this update, and I have a friend who canot use his Powerbook with Tiger because hardly anything works properly! \ ..and I don't wanna go there.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Originally posted by telekon

err.. who said anything about losing old files?

10.4.1 may well be out soon, but there is little guarantee that the teething-bugs will be fixed in this update, and I have a friend who canot use his Powerbook with Tiger because hardly anything works properly! \ ..and I don't wanna go there.

Panther should not be a problem on new HW.

And don't mind him. When he can't find something to be snarky about he makes it up. You get used to it.

--B
  • Reply 4 of 5
    telekontelekon Posts: 54member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bergz

Panther should not be a problem on new HW.

And don't mind him. When he can't find something to be snarky about he makes it up. You get used to it.

--B

Thanks for your input, bergz.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I know at least at our company, we'll have to use Panther on the new hardware due to software incompatibilities (Cisco VPN, Entourage 2004, etc.) that need to ironed out, tested prior to deployment, and released to the entire company. So it's Panther for at least 3 months.