Apple = folly - A journalists opinion

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
This article was printed in the Melbourne newspaper, The Age, today (Tuesday 10th May).

Why Apple and folly go hand-in-glove

Pretty much the same old arguments - no licence for clones, failed to merge with IBM, not porting the OS to Intel architecture - but also has a go at Apple's recent decision to not sell Wiley books.

Warning: Some comments may offend fans of Apple.

The good thing is the journalist makes the mistake of providing his email address at the bottom of his over opinionated story.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    jms698jms698 Posts: 102member
    Yup, Apple are DOOMED!!!

• Reply 2 of 10
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jms698

Yup, Apple are DOOMED!!!

Note to American English speakers:

"Apple are doomed" is correct English.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    liquidrliquidr Posts: 884member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

Note to American English speakers:

"Apple are doomed" is correct English.

Since we're going there. For this specific usage I disagree.

http://alt-usage-english.org/groupnames.html

Yes, outside of the U.S. it is more of a norm for a plural verb to be used with a collective noun. However, the structure of this sentence just does not seem to me to be correct with the plural form of the verb.

My .02 cents.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    I guess I really meant "prevalent" or "widely accepted" more than "correct".
  • Reply 5 of 10
    playmakerplaymaker Posts: 511member
    why is it that when people disagree with the decisions a company makes that means the company is supposed to fail as a whole? This entire article tells quite a bit about Apples big mistakes and fails to mention the superior decisions it has made as a company (shorted by saying something along the lines of it if it werent for them making good products). I am never more intrigued than when reading/hearing blanket statments by people like this and how they think Apple is doomed. It's quite funny.

by the way Apple not selling a book or books for whatever reason does not = Apple is doomed (or Apple are doomed )
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by jms698

Yup, Apple are DOOMED!!!

i must say.. i may have bad spelling with my replies and such and IM... but isnt the grammatically correct term : Apple is doomed?

now i havnt read that article yet, but why would apple be doomed? no one be smart about that question and tell me something obvious thats in the article im going to read it now... catch ya l8r
  • Reply 7 of 10
    i see now... how apple policies can be corrupt and such and all... but apple products are good... no doubt about that. as i talk to my brother about it... however, their products are good, as where microsoft makes horible products (put in a nice way)
  • Reply 8 of 10
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bart Smastard

This article was printed in the Melbourne newspaper, The Age, today (Tuesday 10th May).

Why Apple and folly go hand-in-glove

Pretty much the same old arguments - no licence for clones, failed to merge with IBM, not porting the OS to Intel architecture - but also has a go at Apple's recent decision to not sell Wiley books.

Warning: Some comments may offend fans of Apple.

The good thing is the journalist makes the mistake of providing his email address at the bottom of his over opinionated story.

mate, i couldn't be asked to read another "apple is teh doomed" article

but i will say that that's f9cking bizzare given apple's sales in australia in 2004 grew quite significantly, we're talking 10%-50% in some quarters, IIRC.

especially also iPod spreading through David Jones, Harvey Norman (?? i think) and definitely places like Domayne in Sydney (a kind of boutique iKEA+circuit city) which would not really have carried them before
  • Reply 9 of 10
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    Quote:

Originally posted by LiquidR

Since we're going there. My .02 cents.

Hmmm, .02 cents? not 2 cents.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    igrantigrant Posts: 180member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Playmaker

why is it that when people disagree with the decisions a company makes that means the company is supposed to fail as a whole? This entire article tells quite a bit about Apples big mistakes and fails to mention the superior decisions it has made as a company (shorted by saying something along the lines of it if it werent for them making good products). I am never more intrigued than when reading/hearing blanket statments by people like this and how they think Apple is doomed. It's quite funny.

by the way Apple not selling a book or books for whatever reason does not = Apple is doomed (or Apple are doomed )

Playmaker, I could not agree with you more. Yes Apple had made mistakes, but I dare anyone here to tell me one company that has not ever made one mistake. Now lets take this guy who wrote the article for instance. I say that he most likely using a Windows Machine. NOW lets turn the table around and talk about Microsofts mistakes . . . . yeah, they have made their fair share of mistakes. While Apple has made both good and bad mistakes, so has every other company out there.

Personal I think it was good decision on Apples part to get rid of all the clones and I honestly believe that is why Apple and Macintosh computer run so darn well, they can literally test all of the hardware completely and make it run to the best of its abilities. That is why Windows has so many problems you have so many companies out there trying to make new hardware and when you mix and match hardware from different venders, you are going to have major issues.

Just recently I read that Intel had a meeting with Apple in which they asked Apple to port OS X to their chipset. Apple rejected their offer imediately, and I think that was the absolutely best decision Apple made. I would hate to see third party Macs to so up, because then you would also lose the elegance that Apple has worked so hard to incorporate into all the products they sell.