Perl hijacking my computer!

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I am constantly having two perl processes running that are using as much as 30% of my CPU *EACH* at times... It is very annoying and killing them only seems to bring them back!

Any ideas of what this can be ?

Two screenshots:

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    <command line trickery>If you don't use perl, it might be safe to chmod a-x it as root, to remove the perl application's executability.</command line trickery>

I'm fairly sure there's a command to see what perl's arguments were, but I can't remember it.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    boemaneboemane Posts: 311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Stoo

<command line trickery>If you don't use perl, it might be safe to chmod a-x it as root, to remove the perl application's executability.</command line trickery>

I'm fairly sure there's a command to see what perl's arguments were, but I can't remember it.

After some tinkering I found out that it was an application I installed a few days ago. I was trying to help my sister "undelete" some files and tried out some shareware applications. One of these had a deamon that ran in the background all the time eating up almost all of the resources.

At one time it was bad enough to eat over 70% of the resources! Running ONLY the commandline with top, my CPU sometimes got max-ed out at 0% avaliable. This on a PB G4 1.25Ghz...

Needless to say, I deleted that sucker
  • Reply 3 of 3
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    You probably don't want to shut off execution of Perl - installer scripts and all that use it....