EDIT: Links fixed

Comments

• Reply 1 of 51
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Dude! Fix your link!

This here is the real link
  • Reply 2 of 51
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    hmm, guy in Picture not wearing turtleneck....
  • Reply 3 of 51
    aries 1baries 1b Posts: 1,009member
    And not a flapping keyboard in sight!!!!

V/R,

Aries 1B

Edit:

Note the happy smile on the guy in figure 9?

He's smiling because he's using an Apple Tablet.

He's using The Tablet that changes the world.

He's using The Tablet that snuffs out the wretched, misbegotten, examples to be avoided Windows OS tablets that currently blight the world.

To repeat a promise that I made years ago: If Apple releases this, I will post a video of myself skipping my Palm m515 across/into a lake.
  • Reply 4 of 51
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    It's the same old iBook lid we've seen for a while now, right?

I bet if they do make a tablet it'll be 16x9 aspect ratio.

(I realize patent illustrations are not exact implementations)
  • Reply 5 of 51
    sherpa_74sherpa_74 Posts: 14member
    Can i suggest a name?

iTab
  • Reply 6 of 51
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    You might want to change the link again. MacObserver has been SlashDotted. :P
  • Reply 7 of 51
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Nothing new.

From 12/10/2003 Digitimes article: Link

Hmmmm.....

The Register caught wind of it in August of 2004: Link

Nothing credible about either source, but it is available from the US Patent Office website. Let's not forget, Apple patents lots of things that never see the light of day.
  • Reply 8 of 51
    benjamin_rbenjamin_r Posts: 265member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sherpa_74

Can i suggest a name?

iTab

Maybe if Apple were starting up LSD production....
  • Reply 9 of 51
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    gotta be smaller...

and a flippable screen with keyboard woulda been great...

Anyway, TabletPCs are suck. Don't see why Apple should get into the Tablet market too.

A 6-8 inch screen size would be cool with mini keyboard or something...
  • Reply 10 of 51
    ryanqryanq Posts: 15member
    This may be a really stupid question...but I was wondering what the advantages are to getting a tabletmac would be. I am in the market for a powerbook...should I wait until the tabletmac comes out? Are they comparable to each other?
  • Reply 11 of 51
    benjamin_rbenjamin_r Posts: 265member
    Quote:

Originally posted by RYANQ

This may be a really stupid question...but I was wondering what the advantages are to getting a tabletmac would be. I am in the market for a powerbook...should I wait until the tabletmac comes out? Are they comparable to each other?

As the saying goes... If you have the need now... buy it now..

Although, as several people have posted here, this tablet patent stuff is fairly old news... and I wouldnt hold your breath for an Apple Tablet... Not sure where he said it but Stevo pretty much shot the idea down in flames about a year and a half ago in an interview...

Then again he promised us 3Ghz a year after the G5 release too... and George W got re-elected... so stranger things haave happened!
  • Reply 12 of 51
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aries 1B

... To repeat a promise that I made years ago: If Apple releases this, I will post a video of myself skipping my Palm m515 across/into a lake.

Please send it to me. I'll send you an M500 or something similar you can skip across the lake, and pretend it was the M515.

To forestall anyone else asking: This is a design patent. This means that they intend to release a product that looks almost exactly like the figure. The design patent prohibits anyone from making a product which looks almost exactly like it.

So, we can infer that there is a new product which looks almost exactly like the figure. Of interest is the fact that there is no apparent stylus, controls, or connector other than what appears to be an iPod dock connector at the bottom, and a round circle near the top.

My guess is the round circle is a power switch. The guy is tapping it with his finger...

(edit) So it's probably a video iPod. It won't function as an organizer, it'll just be a read-only thing like the iPod. So you'll probably want to keep the M515.
  • Reply 13 of 51
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    Let me be the first (even before any specs are released ):

screen is too big/small

too heavy

too slow

not enough RAM

video chipset is slow/out-of-date

battery life is too short

wireless range is poor

not enough expansion

</tongue in cheek>
  • Reply 14 of 51
    thttht Posts: 5,444member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

gotta be smaller...

Anyway, TabletPCs are suck. Don't see why Apple should get into the Tablet market too.

A 6-8 inch screen size would be cool with mini keyboard or something...

Hehe. You got that right. Tablets really suck at input. Maybe if it had a specialized finger GUI and Wacom input tablet flip cover on it, but otherwise, tablets as implemented by MS are useless short of the micro-niche markets (which don't need to have much input).

One just needs to look at why RIM is waxing compared to Palm or WinCE. They can barely replace pencil and paper notebooks as it stands now.
  • Reply 15 of 51
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

gotta be smaller...

Apple's already got one of those.

Have you ever used a mini-keyboard? Proof that there is a hell, IMO.

I'm not sure how is a tablet is useful where a laptop woldn't be more useful. The only thing I can think of is the UPS dude, and I don't see Apple going after the package delivery market anytime soon. Oh, and the restaurant business! The clerks at McDonalds could use tablets and punch at food icons on the screen!
  • Reply 16 of 51
    playmakerplaymaker Posts: 511member
    I think that it's concievable that the next generations powerbooks may all have the ability to function this way and will sport a fully rotating display (and for the love of god a G5 processor)
  • Reply 17 of 51
    I'm used to typing out SMS with my thumb since 8 years... I know small input

anyway, by input it would be nice even an on-screen keyboard... although they arent the best thing.

I would imagine this is the reincarnation of somekind of Newton (or the technology at least)

I'd love a PocketPC type device. They're getting better and better. An all screen device. Like the fake mini tablet from Spymac a few years back.

Bah, we'll see what mamma Apple dishes out.

Then again, they may NEVER actually market it.

Honestly, seeing that the tablet market is very very speialized and small, I dont see why Apple would waste resources. Again, if Apple could make a screen flippable device (iBook/PowerBook base) that flips on itself, that would be awesome. Then again, others have done it and I think it wasnt really successful.

Maybe it could be a wireless device with a base station...

like a next gen iMac Mini with WiFi and this is the screen to it that you can use a bit everywhere in the house. Horsepower done by the Mini and then image sent to the Tablet.

I think this has been discussed maaaany many years ago (even back in 1998-1999).
  • Reply 18 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg

Apple's already got one of those.

Have you ever used a mini-keyboard? Proof that there is a hell, IMO.

I'm not sure how is a tablet is useful where a laptop woldn't be more useful. The only thing I can think of is the UPS dude, and I don't see Apple going after the package delivery market anytime soon. Oh, and the restaurant business! The clerks at McDonalds could use tablets and punch at food icons on the screen!

Tablets are great when you are in meetings or on the field and want to write stuff out and dont have a place to put a laptop to type. Or in university class or something where you gotta be mobile taking notes. OR in the living room, etc. But at home, I think people prefer using a keyboard to chat, type, etc.

Its a very niche product.

JYD, since when is the PB12inch screen flippable? Mine doesnt
  • Reply 19 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

But at home, I think people prefer using a keyboard to chat, type, etc.

I don't think so.

With a usb port, u can connect a keyboard if u want
  • Reply 20 of 51
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sherpa_74

I don't think so.

With a usb port, u can connect a keyboard if u want

Two problems with that:

1) Imagine that tablet with a standard keyboard. Try to keep both in your lap. Not gonna be very practical, so you'd have to be at a desk anyway.

2) The drawings in question have no visible ports. I could forsee this device being Bluetooth/Airport only for connectivity, but that has its own drawbacks.