DMB's "Stand Up" and Their Presence on iTMS...FINALLY!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
So who owns/has heard Dave Matthews Band's new album "Stand Up"? I got it today in the mail and am less than overwhelmed.

I can't say that I drop it down to the level of "Everyday" -- which I thought was a prostitution of their music -- but this album generally sounds a little too squeaky clean. The drums are too syncopated (and phoney-sounding), there's hardly any sax in most of the songs, and Dave just doesn't give the vocals the energy I've come to love on their earlier albums.

After they released "Busted Stuff" I thought that they were back to their old selves again, but apparently a lot of people want the band to try something fresh and different. I'm okay with that so long as most of the instruments don't sound synthetic.

All that said, I'm most impressed so far with track 12, "You Might Die Trying." To me, it's the embodiment of something fresh and new while holding onto their roots.

Album Grade: B-

Finally, I've always felt that iTMS wasn't really complete without DMB's presence there. Even though only this one album is available online so far, it's good to see the group's presence on the #1 legal download service. My deepest hope is that they'll eventually strike a deal with Apple like U2 did. I'd buy a Special Edition DMB iPod in a second.

So, what are your thoughts overall? I'd be especially interested in hearing people's experience getting the album, video, and digital booklet from iTMS.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    i agree. this new album was a major disappointment. i'm not going to buy it.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Hmm, after listening to the album some more, I have less of an opinion of it as in my first post.

Carter Beauford, DMB's drummer, was sold down the river on this one. Yeah, he might have developed the MULTIPLE drum loops they use in most of the songs, but that ain't drumming, yo.

I guess I just get this impression through the whole album that I'm listening to something very "digital." Since DMB has been a very "analog-sounding" band their entire career, I'm really turned off. I might just say that I like this one less than I liked Everyday when it was released.

Honorable Mentions from Stand Up: "American Baby," "You Might Die Trying," and -- if you have the bonus CD -- "Joy Ride."

I'd still like to hear from anyone who bought the entire album off of iTMS. What are the video and digital booklet like?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    Can you say Underwhelmed ? Just goes to show how bands cave to the music industry. Any radio play from it where you are?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AquaMac

Any radio play from it where you are?

I haven't listened to the radio much since Tuesday. However Tuesday night a station *did* play all DMB for about an hour one evening -- I'm assuming in tribute to the new album being out. They ended up playing 3 or 4 songs from Stand Up among other older songs.