Yahoo! Music Unlimited

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Did I miss something or am I just the first to post about this?

Over 1 million songs.

$5/mth (or $7)

$.79 to burn a song

Works with some portable music players (not the iPod, of course)

It has the Beatles.

Sounds pretty damned awesome.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

Did I miss something or am I just the first to post about this?

Over 1 million songs.

$5/mth (or $7)

$.79 to burn a song

Works with some portable music players (not the iPod, of course)

It has the Beatles.

Sounds pretty damned awesome.

did you see what happened to Napster and Real stocks?
  • Reply 2 of 39
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Looks like it only works on Windows and who would want to rent music anyway?
  • Reply 3 of 39
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    meh. every man and his dog is throwing stuff at apple to unseat their iPod dominance....

but good find Grove, i only heard murmurings of the yahoo launch last night, thanks for the details...

why it not work with iPod?
  • Reply 4 of 39
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I have a core disagreement with subscription music services:

What happens when the digital music download market starts declining? It certainly will not be able to support all the services that are out there already. When the subscription services go out of business, all the money their users spent will have been for NOTHING. The consumer would be forced to give up access to the music that they'd been using for so long and spent so much money on.

At least with pay-per-song or pay-per-album services, if they go out of business you get to keep the music you paid for. If iTMS shuts down tomorrow, all the music I bought from them will continue to work indefinitely.
  • Reply 5 of 39
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    CosmoNut:

Take your argument and replace "business failure" with "hard drive failure".
  • Reply 6 of 39
    Hey, I'm a brick and morter buy-an-actual-disc-to-take-home-with-you fan over ANY online service, but with a purchase per song/album online service at least you can back up the music you buy in case you do have a hard drive failure.
  • Reply 7 of 39
    Yahoo! charges $0.79 to burn it. Pretty much the same deal.
  • Reply 8 of 39
    Quote:

Yahoo! charges $0.79 to burn it. Pretty much the same deal.

That's great, but a lot of others don't have that ability, do they? And if they *do* plan on going out of business some day, will they give a "warning" to their customers so the customers can burn what they want before losing all the music they had?
  • Reply 9 of 39
    All the real-deal info on the Yahoo thing can be found here, on a developers blog:

http://blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-FDuiC....GGJ7TmAz?p=89

Probably the headline things is that it's only an introductory price, and it's just another storefront for MSFT's Janus DRM'd WMA so no great shakes there.

As a iTunes competitor (that is, the music player not the music store) it has a few good features but mostly in the computer geek sector e.g. Ogg, Flac support, Skins(!), plugins.

The key flaw in these rental systems is that as soon as they look like becoming accepted, then iTunes will switch to offer it too rendering any hypothetical advantage they offer moot.

ALso, I really wish people would stop talking crap about Apple lock-in and it's proprietary (sic) AAC. Jesus, that would be annoying from someone who wasn't hawking DRM'd WMA as the next big thing.

Finally can someone explain, or point me to an explanation of the business model behind these all-you-can-eat stores? How much of this monthly payment goes to the artists I like?

One final comment, note that many of the interesting sounding community collaboration things, e.g. sharing songs only work if both you and the other person are subscribers.
  • Reply 10 of 39
    It would not be smart to brush this piece of software and this service aside. I've been using it and it is very nice. It's a better performer than iTunes on Windows and it's a lot more flexible and offers a lot more.

I'm not saying iTunes or iTMS is dead or even truly threatened, but it would be absolutely moronic to not give this thing serious consideration.

And iTunes only works with one music player. YME works with the iPod as much as Apple will let it.

I think Yahoo! has done a wonderful job here and Apple needs to think quickly and keep making the experience better for the user.

[edit]

[email protected] in the house.
  • Reply 11 of 39
    stustanleystustanley Posts: 236member
    Yeah, the one music play the iTunes music store is only the player with over a 50% market share.

No, its not the creative zen.
  • Reply 12 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by stustanley

Yeah, the one music play the iTunes music store is only the player with over a 50% market share.

No, its not the creative zen.

Oh really wow I did not know the iPod was popular thanks guy!
  • Reply 13 of 39
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Well the software seems to be essentially MusicMatch Jukebox. I used to like MusicMatch quite a bit, not as much as WinAmp, but it was cool.

I need to try this.
  • Reply 14 of 39
    Quote:

And iTunes only works with one music player. YME works with the iPod as much as Apple will let it.

See, this is the kind of thing that you should know better and get right, so god help any non-Mac head who is exposed to the same propaganda.

Let's be clear.

Yahoo! Music Unlimited (the all-you-can-eat) only works with Janus compatible portable devices (not an incredibly long list as far as I am aware) plus Windows computers.

Yahoo! Music Experience (the player) works with a wide range of players including the iPod

iTunes Music Store tracks only work on all the various iPods (and I assume upcoming mobile phones with iTunes Mobile) plus Windows and Mac computers.

ITunes.app works with a wide range of portable players
  • Reply 15 of 39
    its obvious that some music type people dont like the way the ipod its a big succes. but however, music files can be converted just gotta do it right
  • Reply 16 of 39
    Quote:

Well the software seems to be essentially MusicMatch Jukebox.

Hey hey hey, give it a chance before comparing it to that piece of crap.

stupider:

Quote:

Yahoo! Music Unlimited (the all-you-can-eat) only works with Janus compatible portable devices (not an incredibly long list as far as I am aware) plus Windows computers.

I don't remember saying anything different.

Quote:

Yahoo! Music Experience (the player) works with a wide range of players including the iPod

Yes. And?

Quote:

ITunes.app works with a wide range of portable players

Eh... what now?
  • Reply 17 of 39
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

[B]Hey hey hey, give it a chance before comparing it to that piece of crap.

Yeah, MusicMatch 8.2 (the last version I used) was not the best... but it was long before I started using iTunes so it was OK at the time.

I remember reading that Yahoo! bought MusicMatch some time ago. There's also a Yahoo! Music Unlimited icon in the MusicMatch Jukebox website.

I wonder if they just use MusicMatch code with a different UI or?

I tried Yahoo! and it does't look bad. It's still in Beta though. But much faster than iTunes in Windows. Damn, iTunes sux in Windows unless you have 512+ RAM.
  • Reply 18 of 39
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    I'm with Grove so far on this. It is akin to having custom radio station with unlimited music for $5 a month prepaid. I mean this stuff can be used on portable players as well which was the beef with earlier models. It looks like it could be effective.

Nick
  • Reply 19 of 39
    CDs work with iTunes and other media players on Macs and PCs, and are compatible with essentially every "mp3" player on the market. No round-about file conversion. No DRM. Rip at whatever settings you choose.

For purchasing entire albums, you gotta love the CD.
  • Reply 20 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

For purchasing entire albums, you gotta love the CD.

When is this technology going to be released? It sounds awesome!