Java update question

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I have installed Java 1.5 on my 12" iBook which is running OS X Tiger. Problem is, when running the terminal, and running the command "java -version" it still says 1.4.2. Safari recognized 1.5, but the terminal doesnt. I know on Solaris there is a .profile where you can add PATHs to but thats not the case here. How can i get it to look for 1.5 and not 1.4.2? thx for any help i get in advance. Oh and btw, i'm new to OS X. I just bought my first mac and i love it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    i have a pmac g4 dual 450 and i am in the same situation
  • Reply 2 of 5
    markohmarkoh Posts: 24member
    When you install 1.5 it should come with a script you have to run to make it the default VM. It's either in the 1.5 folder or Applications/Utilities.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    well in the Utilities folder there is a Java folder in which is a 1.5 folder. in ther it has a 'preferences' application that lets you set it as the default for the browser and stuff and it does in fact run 1.5 in the browser. but at the terminal, it is still 1.4.2
  • Reply 4 of 5
    markohmarkoh Posts: 24member
    I saw someone suggested linking the CurrentJDK to 1.5 as opposed to the default 1.4.2. I.e. something like this

cd /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions

sudo rm CurrentJDK

sudo ln -s 1.5.0 CurrentJDK
  • Reply 5 of 5
    awsome, it worked. thx so much. your a genious haha. later