New Yahoo! music service may sway some users from iTunes

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Yahoo's new Music Engine is not as elegant as iTunes but it allows for easier searching and listening of music than any other offering outside of iTunes, making it Apple's strongest competitor so far, according to one analyst.

American Technology Research analyst Shaw Wu believes Yahoo's large music video library and low $60 annual subscription price may sway some users to consider an alternative to Apple's ubiquitous iPod+iTunes combo.

"While Yahoo doesn't have a tightly integrated stack of hardware, software, and service like Apple, its adoption of Microsoft PlaysForSure Windows Media technology gives it access to a wide range of compatible hardware devices," the analyst wrote in a research report released to clients on Thursday. He believes this could help accelerate sales of non-iPod MP3 hardware made by Creative, Rio, SanDisk, Dell, Samsung, and iRiver.

Wu also believes Yahoo's new music service could potentially benefit several other companies who produce components for non-iPod players, including Seagate, Sigmatel, Marvell, and Texas Instruments.

Sigmatel, he says, will benefit from flash-based digital music player growth as the dominate provider of system-on-a-chip (SOC) components with Microsoft PlaysForSure DRM technology. Likewise, Wu expects Texas Instruments to see some upside as a provider of integrated circuits for non-iPod microdrive-based players.

Meanwhile, the analysts believes Seagate, Toshiba, and Hitachi will benefit as microdrive makers, and similarly Marvell, which produces SOCs for microdrives.

Examining the big picture, AmTech Research says Apple will remain a strong player in the MP3 and digital music space, but it believes the company's "very dominate position" will be "challenged" by both Yahoo! and Sony.

"Even if Apple were to enter the music subscription business, we believe margins on iPod MP3 hardware would be under more competitive pressure than ever," Wu said.

While AmTech Research believes Apple is "well-positioned" in the digital music business, as well as in its Mac business, the firm is maintaining a "Hold" rating on Apple stock with a 12-month price target of $40 a share.

The firm said it remains concerned with high investor expectations and increasing competition.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Gotta love analysts. One says it'll be a problem for apple. Another says there's no competition. Back and forth. Back and forth. And you never hear about it when someone is wrong.

I'm just tired of it. Are these stories really worth posting? Is it really worth my posting complaining about other postings? Aren't we all tired of all this? I'm going to bed...
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Umm.. Yahoo!'s music service sucks. I can't preview songs or download music videos using either Safari or Firefox. What's the point? Apple still has an advantage with iTunes because it works on both platforms and gets around browser issues. How dumb can Yahoo! be???
  • Reply 3 of 7
    macfandavemacfandave Posts: 603member
    Analysts are idiots!

Yahoo! will just run Napster and Real out of business with their predatory pricing scheme. After they succeed in that, they will end the "introductory" pricing and lot of losers will be stuck with the choice of coughing up the extortion money or ending up having an iPod-wannabe full of useless 1' and 0's.

It's just an expensive way to learn that iPod/iTMS should have been their first choice.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Bottom line is it don't work on a mac, so mac users aint gonna be swayed... everyone else is playing catch up now and I'd be surprised if Apple aren't already planning the future for itunes... its obvious video will play a big part in the future, and HD TV & Movie content will be added over a matter of time, the music videos can be treated as a test for the future...
  • Reply 5 of 7
    fahlmanfahlman Posts: 740member
    In other news, the sun may quit shinning today... but probably not.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    It's crystal clear. Shaw Wu is short AAPL, and trying to manipulate the market. Wu now maintains a bogus $40 target price. Sadly, idiot investors step into his bullsh*t. A few weeks ago Wu had the target at $50, a week later at $45, and now $40. Do you own AAPL? If you do, who's manipulating you? Who's making money off of you? Let'm have it:

[email protected]

Better yet, ask the securities and exchange commission to investigate -- http://www.sec.gov/
  • Reply 7 of 7
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Let's see, Napster is hemorrhaging money and can't make a profit. Yahoo is undercutting their price by what, half, and they expect to stay in the online music business for long.

Am I missing something? I must be too stupid to understand.