Break the Admin?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
At our school we have an iMac what belongs to ASB, but our tech dude set it up and he is paid by the school and is a huge d**k. Ok, well he refuses to update anything--"no time"--geez he's annoying. well anyways i want to update the computer to 10.2.8, and do all the other updates it needs, but i don't have the admin password and he wont give it. probably feels it's a blow to his manhood or something. well anyways, is there a way to acquire the password or maybe just reformat everything. Anything would be nice to finally be able to update this crap, and make it a REAL mac haha. Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    jwink3101jwink3101 Posts: 739member
    This is just a thought, could you boot it into to Target Disk Mode and then, using some unprotected machine, install the updates. I have never done this so i have no clue if it will work or not.

Or, to quote a help file, "If you still can't remember the administrator password, you can reset it. Use the Mac OS X Install disc to reset your password."

The only snag with the above is if you don;t have access to any disks. Then, i can't help. My initial thought is you could run into a filevault issue but you said you weren;t even running Panther.

On the topic of D**K admin, i am the highest student admin at my school and i know that one of my responsibilities is to always keep the software as up to date as possible. I also have the policy about people installing other 3rd party stuff that i will not give the password but i will gladly enter it if they can show me why they need it (For example, some browser is okay but Limewire isn't at school). If someone needs it a lot, i will not give it to them but i will make a case for them with the person who gave me my power to give them the password.

The point of the above paragraph was basically, step on some toes and talk to his boss.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wired Envisions

At our school we have an iMac what belongs to ASB, but our tech dude set it up and he is paid by the school and is a huge d**k. Ok, well he refuses to update anything--"no time"--geez he's annoying. well anyways i want to update the computer to 10.2.8, and do all the other updates it needs, but i don't have the admin password and he wont give it. probably feels it's a blow to his manhood or something. well anyways, is there a way to acquire the password or maybe just reformat everything. Anything would be nice to finally be able to update this crap, and make it a REAL mac haha. Thanks.

Instead of asking how to circumvent admin passwords, you should be thinking about how to properly resolve the problem. Talk to the guy's boss.