FTP access to my tower of aluminum

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Good morning gents and gentettes,

Here is my big Ivory dream. I'm part of the company, its sort of a hobby right now but things are really taking off, we do lots of print stuff and web stuff. I would like to have people from this group access my HD actually a specific folder so that they can just drop files in there that need to be dealt with. read and write privileges. they all have macs (by all I mean the other two folks) I'm the only one on tiger but they both have panther... how do I set up my mac to do this?

agiain I don't want them roaming around they just need access to one folder in my home folder (NOT my drop box)

love.

flick.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    Pretty (okay, somewhat) simple. Turn on FTP access in the Sharing pref pane. If you're behind a router, you'll need to forward ports 20 & 21 to the machine. The best way to keep that trouble-free is to assign a static IP to the machine in your Ethernet settings outside the range of automatically applied IPs Say, for instance you router is set to automatically assign 192.168.1.100 thru 192.168.1.200, then you'd maually set your computer to 192.168.1.201 in the Etherent TCP/IP tab. Subnet mask and router should remain the same, and you might also need to put the router # (most likely 192.168.1.1 in the DNS Servers: field.

Once all that's done, access the router and forward ports 20 & 21 to ip address 192.168.1.201.

If you're not behind a router, and you've got a straight Ethernet connection, ignore all of the above.

You can use http://www.whatismyip.com/ to obtain your external IP, if you don't know it already.

You should create a non-admin user, and give that name and password to your FTP users. You can then delete all the folders in that user account, and make one new folder, and change the permissions on it to read/write for your main account so you cn get the files they drop in there without having to change users.

Hope that makes sense.