Well decided to get a Powerbook questions..

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Well i finally decided to get a powerbook i am 90% sure of it.. 32mb ram isn't enough for me.. Anyways their have been alot of rumors about ibooks getting upgraded soon but if they did they would be real close to powerbooks so they would upgrade them at same time at Mac thing in June.. Should i just buy a Powerbook now or wait until then? What is the most you think the Powerbooks would be upgraded if they did G5s!!! lol j/k... Latest i can wait is June 17 Bday Opinions suggestings?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    PowerBooks don't come with 32MB of VRAM. That's iBooks.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    trobertstroberts Posts: 702member
    Steve is scheduled to give his keynote address on Monday, June 6, 2005, so I just wait and see what he has to say and/or show.

Types of upgrades a PowerBook G4 could get:

1) Faster CPU

2) Faster system bus with faster memory

3) Larger L2 cache

4) Ultra ATA 7200RPM drives on high-end

Types of upgrades a PowerBook G5 would most likely get:

1) Faster CPU

2) Faster system bus with faster memory

3) Larger L2 cache

4) SATA drives at 7200RPM

5) Replace 12" with 13" widescreen with resolution capable of 1280 x 854

As I was writing this I have come to the conclusion there is not much more Apple can do to improve the PowerBook line without getting the specs to the point where the headlines will read "Apple PowerBooks, now with a G5" when it actually does ship with a G5.

Even though the speed of the G4 is at 1.67GHz, Apple could put a 1.6GHz G5 in a PowerBook and it would not matter if the speed of the memory and system bus were raised.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    farvefarve Posts: 69member
    PowerBooks will not get an udate in the next four or five months. I think we'll see the next update MWSF in jan. That update will be significant. (thoughts)
  • Reply 4 of 4
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    My advice for a PowerBook is buy - I bought the new ones the day they came out (31st Jan) and would not expect an update until September at the earliest. PBs have 64MB standard for 12" and 15" - 17" has 128MB but BTO is good.