Laying Tile: Advise Please

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
So we've had record snowfall + freaky rain and the result has been that parts of my basement well, not really flooded, but seeped. The wife and I worked diligently for over 48 hours straight to contain the damage, and now that everything has settled down, we've decided that replacing our carpet with tile is the way to go.

Here's the thing: I would like to do this myself. I would like to learn how to do it.

I know that, like anything else, it's deceptively simple.

So here are a handful of questions, but please feel free to offer advice.

1) I have a concrete slab for a floor. Do I need to put down some kind of backing for the tile?

2) I can get a diamond blade cutter for my circular and jigsaws. How well do these work vs. the wet cutters.

3) Does anyone have any opinions about that Edge Precision tile stuff at Lowe's vs. regular old tile? I want to do this in 12" squares.

Thanks for any advice.

Cheers

Scott

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    omegaomega Posts: 427member
    I think 'scates did a renovation recently involving tiles. You will of course have to go to the "other place"

Me, I know nutink!

• Reply 2 of 2
    formerlurkerformerlurker Posts: 2,686member
    1. No, the concrete slab is perfect.

2. I'd get one of the $100 or so wet saws from Home Depot or Lowe's.

3. All the jobs I've helped with have used regular tile.

The KEY is the little white spacers in every corner, and up in the air to set apart two tiles You simply can't use too many spacers.

Also, don't use too much mortar or you'll spent lots of time cleaning it from the gaps between the tiles before you can grout.

Lastly, mortar should be mixed to a slightly wetter consistency than creamy peanut butter.