New AirPort Express to bundle wireless remote control?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
The next version of Apple's AirPort Express wireless base station may bundle a wireless remote control, according to hints dropped via an obscure error message in the latest version of the company's iTunes jukebox software.

If a user has configured a firewall, the first time iTunes 4.8 is launched a dialog will read, "Your computer is using a firewall software that prevents you from sharing music or using a remote control for AirTunes," the HypnoticNetwork has discovered.

AirTunes is the name given to Apple's AirPort software that allows AirPort Express owners to wirelessly broadcast iTunes music through their stereo or powered speakers in virtually in any room of their house.

Although several existing third party AirPort remotes exist, the HypnoticNetwork speculates that the warning message may provided the first hints at what's to come in the second generation of Apple's AirPort Express base station.

It was almost a year ago that Apple introduced the AirPort Express at the Wall Street Journal's annual D: All Things Digital conference.

When Apple chief executive Steve Jobs first demonstrated the AirPort Express, the Wall Street Journal's Walt Mossberg told Jobs the biggest problem he saw was that users had to get up and walk to their computers to change play lists and songs

Jobs responded with a joke, saying he thought walking was good. But when pressed further, Jobs just smiled a wry smile. AppleInsider correspondents took this to mean that Apple was developing an AirPort remote, and the Airport Express was just a step along the way.

Meanwhile, a March 2005 AppleInsider article reported that Apple was preparing to unveil new versions of its AirPort wireless base station, with an expected debut in "the coming months."

Next week, the Wall Street Journal will hold the third edition of its D: All Things Digital conference between May 22-24. Interestingly, Apple's current AirPort Express promotion ends May 23rd. Once again, Jobs will present at the conference along with Microsoft's Bill Gates, Intel's Paul Ottelini, and Motorola's Ed Zander.

Will you be attending the D conference? If so, please drop us a line.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 63
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    I would love to have a remote with ipod like display showing my song selection and playlist. That would rock!
  • Reply 2 of 63
    bubba451bubba451 Posts: 19member
    Or the message could be referring to one of the existing 3rd-party remotes, like the Keyspan Express Remote.

Apple added support for this in version 6.1.1 of the firmware.
  • Reply 3 of 63
    Quote:

Originally posted by bubba451

Or the message could be referring to one of the existing 3rd-party remotes, like the Keyspan Express Remote.

Exactly.
  • Reply 4 of 63
    thebumthebum Posts: 58member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

I would love to have a remote with ipod like display showing my song selection and playlist. That would rock!

Don't count on it. Such a remote would likely at least double the price of an Airport Express.

I think Bubba has it pegged.
  • Reply 5 of 63
    sopphodesopphode Posts: 135member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

Or they could just make a wireless iPod.
  • Reply 6 of 63
    rongoldrongold Posts: 302member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bubba451

But that was 5 months ago. This error has only started showing up in the last week since people have upgraded to iTunes 4.8. Am I mistaken?

It could be a new tablet device (recently patented) which would also use a new antennae device (also recently patented) to be sort of a thin client or a remote to use in conjunction with an Airport device and even mirror your desktop. Something that will work with, and maybe ? at times ? depend on the iPod. This would be their next insanely cool device that would further cement the iPods popularity. Arriving at the perfect time since everyone seems to think the iPod is on its way out.

Mirroring the desktop would not require an unbelievable cpu ? just a graphics unit. This would be great. A small remote control touch-sensitive computer screen that you take with you anywhere.
  • Reply 7 of 63
    jockerjocker Posts: 2member
    Hey!! I discovered this around 6 months ago - please credit me with this, and not hypnotic network, as this has been around since iTunes 4.7

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=233259
  • Reply 8 of 63
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rongold

But that was 5 months ago. This error has only started showing up in the last week since people have upgraded to iTunes 4.8. Am I mistaken?

No, you aren't mistaken, but this error message isn't the only subtle interface change in iTunes 4.8. Several other messages were changed as well, for example, there were cosmetic and usability-related improvements to dialogs regarding deleting songs, etc.
  • Reply 9 of 63
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    wifi tablet as remote (using widgets) could be a piece of a big media store puzzle apple is putting together with airtunes and PSP3.... oh the possibilities...
  • Reply 10 of 63
    jockerjocker Posts: 2member
    Can I reiterate - THIS ERROR MESSAGE HAS BEEN AROUND SINCE iTUNES 4.7
  • Reply 11 of 63
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jocker

Can I reiterate - THIS ERROR MESSAGE HAS BEEN AROUND SINCE iTUNES 4.7

I'm sorry, what is it you are trying to say?
  • Reply 12 of 63
    rongoldrongold Posts: 302member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sandau

wifi tablet as remote (using widgets) could be a piece of a big media store puzzle apple is putting together with airtunes and PSP3.... oh the possibilities...

Well, I was thinking more direct control of music and such but yeah, I guess since it would mirror what is on your desktop, you could also control the iPod with a widget.

It would be cool to then have a widget mirror/emulate the iPod screen interface to control that (whether it be connected to your Mac or your stereo) via USB, Firewire or Bluetooth 2.0 in the future).
  • Reply 13 of 63
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rongold

It could be a new tablet device (recently patented) which would also use a new antennae device (also recently patented) to be sort of a thin client or a remote to use in conjunction with an Airport device and even mirror your desktop. Something that will work with, and maybe ? at times ? depend on the iPod. This would be their next insanely cool device that would further cement the iPods popularity. Arriving at the perfect time since everyone seems to think the iPod is on its way out.

Mirroring the desktop would not require an unbelievable cpu ? just a graphics unit. This would be great. A small remote control touch-sensitive computer screen that you take with you anywhere.

HomeSync has debuted with Tiger (in the server version) maybe the tablet could be to do with that. I reckon if it's just a remote it will need some sort of screen but knowing Apple it'll probably just be buttons.
  • Reply 14 of 63
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Some evidence is that Insider said that new models were coming out in the "next several months". What kind of evidence is that? Of course new models will be coming out after a year or so. That doesn't mean that it's evidence for a major shift. That's hardly a prediction.

Neither is an error code like that.

If it said that' After reconfigering your firewall, you must set up your remote control" I would be more suitably impressed.

This means nothing.

It also doesn't mean that Apple is not readying new software and new hardware to do this.

But nothing presented here shows that.

As for the tablet, there was a song called "Wishing and Hoping".
  • Reply 15 of 63
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

As for the tablet, there was a song called "Wishing and Hoping".

And it was awful! I think it is likely there will be something new in this AirPort express. There isn't likely to be a new wireless standard - there have been rumours the bigger model will get AirPort support so the only new feature that seems likely is a remote.
  • Reply 16 of 63
  • Reply 17 of 63
    how about video support for new AirPort Express?
  • Reply 18 of 63
    Quote:

Originally posted by solafek13

how about video support for G2 AirPort Express?

54mbps might be fast enough but.. maybe, I don't see it happening for full quality DVDs yet - although a Mac mini would become more attractive with video streaming.
  • Reply 19 of 63
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    1. The Airport Express is an awesome product (I love mine,) but best for households with laptops, for the reasons mentioned. Putting one in your living room with a cheap USB printer, stereo, and your TiVo hooked up to the ports gives you entire control of your living room from your laptop. (Ironically, even more so if your laptop is Windows.)

2. Rumors of iPods with 802.11b abound.

3. 54Mb is PLENTY of bandwidth for DVD video. DVDs are limited by their spec to a little over 10Mb. HD-DVDs are talking about doubling that and using better compression to get HD. You'd still have half the pipe left over under optimal conditions, and enough to keep a full screen HD broadcast going with only half the bandwidth.

4. TiVo can now play Java applets off a host machine. There are so many opportunities wasted here wrt to the Express.
  • Reply 20 of 63
    Quote:

Originally posted by Booga

1. The Airport Express is an awesome product (I love mine,) but best for households with laptops, for the reasons mentioned. Putting one in your living room with a cheap USB printer, stereo, and your TiVo hooked up to the ports gives you entire control of your living room from your laptop. (Ironically, even more so if your laptop is Windows.)

2. Rumors of iPods with 802.11b abound.

3. 54Mb is PLENTY of bandwidth for DVD video. DVDs are limited by their spec to a little over 10Mb. HD-DVDs are talking about doubling that and using better compression to get HD. You'd still have half the pipe left over under optimal conditions, and enough to keep a full screen HD broadcast going with only half the bandwidth.

4. TiVo can now play Java applets off a host machine. There are so many opportunities wasted here wrt to the Express.

But if you're running a network from it as well other users will notice a deteriorated performance when video is being watched. Although it would make sense with the recent iTunes movement into video. A digital hub solution would be needed. A tablet would be the perfect solution as then you don't need a keyboard and mouse.

A tablet with a TV and computer would be a brilliant solution.