Need the REAL gurus

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Okay. Finally figured out what was causing my iTunes to crash. Anytime I have Acquisition running, and then launch iTunes....iTunes never fully launches and 'stops responding'. I cannot for quit it (or kill it's process).

Several things. 1) This did this before I upgraded to Tiger. 2) This did it with older iTunes versions, and newer. 3) This did it with older Acquisition and newer. The behavior just started one day... and ever since there is nothing I can seem to do.

None of this is new info...except this part....

Checked Process Monitor and saw that SystemUIServer had turned red and stopped responding. So had iTunes. Just those two.

So... gurus... I've upgrade my OS, trashed all iTunes prefs (that I can find) and rebuilt my library, upgraded iTunes, and upgraded Acquisition. So far... no luck.

Please help a fellow out. Please?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Okay.... digging around I figured out how to kill the SystemUIServer and relaunch it. At least the beach ball is gone when I move my mouse up to the clock area. (PS: I have no 'weird' menubar items up there... just volume, and a VPN connection)

iTunes still won't force quit or respond. Only answer is a hard reboot. (because it won't reboot from the menu once iTunes is hung)

Once I reboot, the I can run iTunes again...
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Here is what it is currently accessing....

/

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/MacOS/iTunes

/System/Library/CoreServices/CharacterSets/CFUnicodeData-B.mapping

/System/Library/CoreServices/CharacterSets/CFCharacterSetBitmaps.bitmap

/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIToolbox.framework/Versions/A/Resources/HIToolbox.rsrc

/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIToolbox.framework/Versions/A/Resources/English.lproj/Localized.rsrc

/System/Library/Frameworks/QuickTime.framework/Versions/A/Resources/QuickTime.rsrc

/System/Library/Frameworks/QuickTime.framework/Versions/A/Resources/English.lproj/Localized.rsrc

/Library/Caches/com.apple.IntlDataCache.sbdl.501

/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/QD.framework/Versions/A/Resources/QD.rsrc

/System/Library/Extensions/IOAudioFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AOAHALPlugin.bundle/Contents/MacOS/AOAHALPlugin

/Users/someone/Library/iTunes/iTunes Plug-ins/G-Force For iTunes (OS X)

/System/Library/CFMSupport/CarbonLib

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/iTunes.rsrc

/System/Library/Components/AudioCodecs.component/Contents/MacOS/AudioCodecs

/System/Library/Extensions/IOSCSIArchitectureModelFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/SCSITaskUserClient.kext/Contents/PlugIns/SCSITaskLib.plugin/Contents/MacOS/SCSITaskLib

/Library/Caches/com.apple.LaunchServices-014501.csstore

/usr/share/icu/icudt32b.dat

/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIToolbox.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Extras.rsrc

/System/Library/Fonts/LucidaGrande.dfont

/usr/lib/dyld

/usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib

/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CoreText.framework/Versions/A/CoreText

/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ATS.framework/Versions/A/ATS

/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CoreGraphics.framework/Versions/A/CoreGraphics

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreFoundation.framework/Versions/A/CoreFoundation

/usr/lib/libicucore.A.dylib

/usr/lib/libobjc.A.dylib

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CarbonCore.framework/Versions/A/CarbonCore

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/OSServices.framework/Versions/A/OSServices

/System/Library/Frameworks/Security.framework/Versions/A/Security

/System/Library/Frameworks/SystemConfiguration.framework/Versions/A/SystemConfiguration

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreAudio.framework/Versions/A/CoreAudio

/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ColorSync.framework/Versions/A/ColorSync

/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/QD.framework/Versions/A/QD

/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIServices.framework/Versions/A/HIServices

/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/LaunchServices

/System/Library/Frameworks/Foundation.framework/Versions/C/Foundation

/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIToolbox.framework/Versions/A/HIToolbox

/System/Library/Frameworks/AppKit.framework/Versions/C/AppKit

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreData.framework/Versions/A/CoreData

/System/Library/Frameworks/QuartzCore.framework/Versions/A/QuartzCore

/System/Library/Frameworks/QuickTime.framework/Versions/A/QuickTime

/System/Library/Frameworks/AddressBook.framework/Versions/A/AddressBook

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DSObjCWrappers.framework/Versions/A/DSObjCWrappers

/dev/null

/dev/console

/dev/console

obj=0x01daf410

obj=0x01daf410

obj=0x01ed4520

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/Localized.rsrc

/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIToolbox.framework/Versions/A/Resources/HIToolbox.rsrc

/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIToolbox.framework/Versions/A/Resources/English.lproj/Localized.rsrc

/System/Library/Frameworks/QuickTime.framework/Versions/A/Resources/QuickTime.rsrc

/System/Library/Frameworks/QuickTime.framework/Versions/A/Resources/English.lproj/Localized.rsrc

/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/QD.framework/Versions/A/Resources/QD.rsrc

/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIToolbox.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Extras.rsrc

/Users/someone/Music/iTunes/iTunes 4 Music Library
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Holy Christ! I unplugged my iPod and INSTANTLY iTunes launched and acted like nothing had happened. ???????? Could it be I just solved my problem of several months by undocking my iPod???????

Steve, you have GOT to be *ucking kidding me.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I don't have Tiger, but sometimes when an application seems frozen, I unplug my firewire EyeTV500 and it's like giving my computer a swift kick in the nads to wake it up. I find it hard to believe it caused the problem, but maybe it bypasses some timeout or something.