I swapped a double layer DVD burner into my 1st gen. iMac.

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I know that sounds stupid, but can I call Apple up and order just the new slot drive found in the updated G5 iMacs?

I want to upgrade my drive in my current iMac to the new updated drive. It would be nice to use an OEM part for this. I would like to install it and my Mac automagically know it has a dual layer burner and faster burn speeds.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

I know that sounds stupid, but can I call Apple up and order just the new slot drive found in the updated G5 iMacs?

I want to upgrade my drive in my current iMac to the new updated drive. It would be nice to use an OEM part for this. I would like to install it and my Mac automagically know it has a dual layer burner and faster burn speeds.

Update: I found a slot drive dual layer super drive for the G5 iMac for $199. Check it out here. http://www.mcetech.com/imacg5dvdr8dl.html It is a pioneer drive and burns DVD's at 8x, and cd's at 24x. Finally, a drive I can call "super."

I will let you know in a few days how it works once it gets here. :-)
  • Reply 2 of 8
    I'm thinking about upgrading my MDD G4 with a SuperDrive. Called several Apple Stores and Apple Tech support. They will not sell parts unless it's to replace a defective one.

PowerMax, where I purchased my G4, recommended MCE for their DL SuperDrive. Said they have referred quite a few of their customers to them and reported good results.

Please let me know your experience. The MCE website says their SuperDrives are guaranteed 100% plug and play compatible with OS 10.3 and 10.4 and for all iApps too.

Thanks,

Doug
  • Reply 3 of 8
    serpentserpent Posts: 8member
    why buy from MCE when you can getit @ OWC http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other...ng/MG5SL8XDLK/ and save yourself $30. their also throwing in: Special Bundle! includes Dantz Retrospect Express, NTI DragonBurn 4,

and 10 pieces of 8x DVD-R Media in mini jewel cases!

I've bought from them before and shipping is cheap-$15/NDA and they offer free tech support.

enjoy

Serpent
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by serpent

why buy from MCE when you can getit @ OWC http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other...ng/MG5SL8XDLK/ and save yourself $30. their also throwing in: Special Bundle! includes Dantz Retrospect Express, NTI DragonBurn 4,

and 10 pieces of 8x DVD-R Media in mini jewel cases!

I've bought from them before and shipping is cheap-$15/NDA and they offer free tech support.

enjoy

Serpent

Where were you a few days ago.

I will have to check them out next time. Thanks for the information. Maybe they will start selling midplane assemblies for the iMac's.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    serpentserpent Posts: 8member
    @aplnub

you can always use my old trick! hehe.....

since you already bought from MCE and all sales from the internet are governed by the FCC and same rules apply as mail order, you have thirty dsys to return whatever you bought to MCE. give them a call and ask for a RGA(return goods authorization. they have to refund all your $$$ even if you ran it over with a steam roller, less shipping and handling! once that is done call OWC and reorder from them let them ship red label. when you recieve if it is same exact drive return OWC's to MCE or uninstall original . you'll then get extra prog's and media and prob still have enuf left over to buy a pack of smokes once you return to MCE.

your concience may vary,

Serpent
  • Reply 6 of 8
    I received the drive today and installed it. The install for the optical drive was a little more difficult to figure out (removing the old optical drive from the metal casing was tricky) than the HDD but all went well. Overall, I was a little disappointed in the Pioneer drive because it did not accept the plastic face covering the OEM Apple drive had. Besides that, everything works great! Well, I haven?t tested the dual layer capability yet but I am about too. Burning 4.7 Gb dvd's at 8x rocks!!

One last thing, I did not have to load any drivers. It is plug and play as advertised.

This drive is quieter than my OEM drive.

MCE delivered the drive in 1 week 1 day. I had to call and get them to check on the order and it turns out they are taking them faster than they can get them. They were kind enough to bump me to the top when I called Friday and I received the drive today. Awesome for me and SUCKS for some other dude. he he They said they would send a tracking number but never did. Overall, I am satisfied with my purchase from them but would probably try out OWC next time to see how they do it.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    I would like to report on my first dual layer burn.

I had two folders, one with 6.5 GB and another with 1.4 GB that ended up being a grand total of 8.1 and the finder reported that it couldn't burn the disc because that was too much information. First, 6.5 and 1.4 were found with the right click "get info" method. The 8.1 GB total was reported back to me when trying to burn the disc. It said my disc was not large enough. I was using a 8.5 GB DL disc. I removed the smaller folder and it burned with no problems, all 6.5 GB.

Can someone explain to me why I can't fit 8.1 GB on a 8.5 GB disc??
  • Reply 8 of 8
    acr4acr4 Posts: 100member
    Is the 8.5 GB capacity of the disk measured as:

1 MB = 1000^2 Bytes

or

1 MB = 1024^2 Bytes

If it is the first, then an 8.5 GB disk really only holds:

8.5 * (1000/1024)^3 = 7.916 GB

-Alex