Tiger won't let me turn off my computer

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I installed Tiger two nights ago (zeroed my internal drive, did an erase-and-install, transferred backed-up files using Migration Assistant) and have been loving it except for one thing: my computer (1st generation dual 2ghz G5, no additions yet) will no longer shut down. I tell it to do so and the icons disappear, then the dock disappears, then the desktop picture lightens a bit, and then... nothing. I can still move the cursor, but nothing happens. I've had to do soft shutdowns, which is probably not good. Spotlight has finished indexing my drive, so I don't think it's getting hung up on that, but my drive has been making a lot more noise than it used to. Oh, and I also upgraded to 10.4.1. Anyone else had this happen?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    I experienced a simliar incident this morning on my 1st. gen iMac G5 1.8 Ghz 20".

I went to shut it down, came back 5 mintues later and it was still sitting there like I never clicked shutdown. I shut it down 3 more times with the same result. I had to go to the login window and then shut down from there. This is the first time this has happened to me. I have the 10.4.1 update. I know it was fine during 10.4.0. We had a bad electrical storm coming through so I was going to shut down and unplug to be safe. Glad I did because my DSL filter board got zapped. Ouch!!! 25 smackaroo's gone
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Tiger, its all about up time.

flick.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    sladuuchsladuuch Posts: 67member
    Actually, I just fixed the problem by throwing out all the stuff in my startup items folder. There was some junk left over from Panther that was conflicting for some reason, so I reinstalled it and now it shuts down fine.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sladuuch

Actually, I just fixed the problem by throwing out all the stuff in my startup items folder. There was some junk left over from Panther that was conflicting for some reason, so I reinstalled it and now it shuts down fine.

It's odd that the start-up folder effects the shut down! But then there isn't s shutdown folder anymore - that was useful!