broadband ISP for mac in UK. Help!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I currently have BT broadband basic for my PC but I have just got an eMac, and want to hook this up to broadband. BT basic doesn't support mac, and all the others I have found seem to be OS X incompatible. What do other people use in the UK?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    johnrpjohnrp Posts: 357member
    I am stuck out on a limb here in Hull and HAVE to use our local telephone provider (Kingston) as there are NO BT lines in this area at all.

So I use them.. However as long as your modem is mac compatible than you will have no problem at all with any of the broadband suppliers in the UK.

Better still use a router and you can share the connection between your mac and pc.

j.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    All the ADSL deals in the UK are based on the same BT lines, just rebranded, so it's all the same stuff at that level. And it all works with Macs (and Linux) except for the idiotic USB modems they give you.

Personally I'm now on NTL and they're usually fine as their standard modem comes with both ethernet and USB connections.

If you want to stick with your current broadband provider then just buy a different ADSL router with ethernet (and wireless if you're feeling fancy) output and replace your current ADSL modem. I believe they're usually safer for your PC too as many of the modems don't act as hardware firewalls.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    johnrpjohnrp Posts: 357member
    Just a little addition to what stupider said

take a look at http://www.solwise.co.uk/ these guys will sort you out with a router etc.. I use them they are very good and the forums are a help also.

j.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    PlusNet have been very good for me.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by asacaravan

I currently have BT broadband basic for my PC but I have just got an eMac, and want to hook this up to broadband. BT basic doesn't support mac, and all the others I have found seem to be OS X incompatible. What do other people use in the UK?

I'm with bulldog but if your with BT just buy a router or ethernet modem and plug multiple computers in - BT wont support this but it will work and they wont know. BT charge extra for multiple computers - but you shouldn't need to change anything with them.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Thanks for all of your help. My eMac has a built in ethernet modem, but the attachment that allows the modem cable to hook up to the ethernet port has gone missing. Is there anywhere I can buy a simple ethernet to phoneline cable. I've searched all over the place, but can't find anything.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    You need one of these (or similar):

http://www.solwise.co.uk/adsl-billion-5100s.htm

The adsl line goes in and ethernet cable comes back out. It's doing more than just changing the shape of the cable connector.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    You can't convert an ethernet wire to a modem wire because they are totally different - it's like a firewire wire turning into USB.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    I think I got a bit confused with the ethernet stuff! Thanks for your help