Connect to School?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I am not sure what to put this under, so I put this under Mac OS Topics. Feel free to move this around if need-be.

At school I can connect through an Windows, Mac, or Linux box to my school server. What I use is my username and password (which is spread throughout the school for lunch, library, and computer use) being sstrickland and my pin number.

I think it uses SSH, but I was wondering if there would ever be a way to connect to that on the PB through the login screen or what if I could, because then I can connect to my student file server, drop stuff in my teacher's folders... etc. Is there a way to do this? Would much be needed to install or configure? Or is it all depending on how much my school wants to let me in?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iShawn

I am not sure what to put this under, so I put this under Mac OS Topics. Feel free to move this around if need-be.

At school I can connect through an Windows, Mac, or Linux box to my school server. What I use is my username and password (which is spread throughout the school for lunch, library, and computer use) being sstrickland and my pin number.

I think it uses SSH, but I was wondering if there would ever be a way to connect to that on the PB through the login screen or what if I could, because then I can connect to my student file server, drop stuff in my teacher's folders... etc. Is there a way to do this? Would much be needed to install or configure? Or is it all depending on how much my school wants to let me in?

Your question is confusing. You have already said that you can connect to your school's server from a Mac. Your PowerBook is a Mac. Why would you not be able to connect to the server from your PowerBook using the same settings as your other Mac?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    ishawnishawn Posts: 364member
    I'm sorry. I can connect to my files and folders from a mac,linux, or windows box at school. Damn, I knew I'd do something stupid like that. Sorry... I want to be able to (If possible) connect to the files and folders at home or away from school.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    hdcoolhdcool Posts: 48member
    go ask the IT department then ask them what server you need to connect to.. perhaps which protocol..

at school we use ssl webdav.. (finally "works" in tiger's finder)
  • Reply 4 of 4
    karl kuehnkarl kuehn Posts: 756member
    There is a good chance that they use SMB for connections on campus. SMB encrypts only the authentication phase, the rest is in the clear, so they will almost never allow off-site file sharing connections.