Resident Evil 4 -or- groverat is a big pansy

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I bought RE4 a couple of days ago for the GameCube and I've been playing it.

I finally had to stop because, as embarrassing as it is to admit, it freaks me out too much and it's not fun.

Part of why it's not fun is the control scheme; it seems to heighten the fear factor you have to just walk blind around corners; no strafing and no peeking. And if you are aiming you are standing stock still, which is more realistic of course but that doesn't fully connect since it's a 3rd person view, which isn't realistic (at least not for me, my eyes stay in my head, not a foot up and two feet behind my head).

But that's forgiveable, it really is. Because it's a beautiful and horrifying game and I am a big fat wuss of spectacular proportions.

It's the same reason I had to quit DOOM 3, uninstall it and sell it to a friend.

I love zombie movies, why do horror games scare me so?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    hardeeharharhardeeharhar Posts: 4,841member
    Wuss...

Have the old battle-axe beat the game since you clearly cannot..
  • Reply 2 of 22
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

Groverat lost his edge. He was holding on too tight.

• Reply 3 of 22
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    I can't stand horror movies or games either - I had to cover my eyes during a recent preview of "dark water". I think that I watched The Shining and Jaws at too young of an age, and it left me permainantly scarred.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    hardeeharharhardeeharhar Posts: 4,841member
    and miss jennifer connelly in her sumptuous beauty... never...
  • Reply 5 of 22
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

It's the same reason I had to quit DOOM 3, uninstall it and sell it to a friend.

nah it's cool mate, its the interactive part of it. in movies there's not really a "you" that is threatened, its the character. in games, because you control the character, the connection is stronger.

i stopped playing Doom3 after a while because

1. it was too dark

2. i had no idea how to do "ductape mod for flashlight"

3. it was too scary

4. it reminded me of playing way way way way way too much Doom1 and Doom2 back in the day...
  • Reply 6 of 22
    oh, and i couldn't sleep after watching The Others... i sat up all night after that playing return to castle wolfenstein multiplayer so that i wouldn't have to go to sleep
  • Reply 7 of 22
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Dude, start playing Resident Evil 4 again. As of today (05-20-05) it is still the best game of year. Awesome story.

The controls take a little while to get use to.

Keep playing though. You will love it.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    It's not going to get any less frightening, so no, I won't be playing it any more.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    hardheadhardhead Posts: 644member
    G, sit your big ass back down and finish that game mister. That is an order!

On a side note, I can't believe the graphics that were squeezed out of the lil box... If you finish the game G, you'll get to unlock some nifty weapons.

• Reply 10 of 22
    I've spent about 30 minutes suffering through this game again and I think I need to express myself more clearly. It's not that it's scary in the way that gives someone nightmares, it's just nerve-shredding. The controls are so damned stiff and limited it's like they are forcing you into a state of fear. It feels lazy. I know it's not lazy. Hell, it's Capcom and I love them, but it feels that way to me.

Mr. Government Superbadass has to stand completely still when aiming his gun. He can't even walk to the right a little bit and maintain some kind of aim. Further, the stupid ass villagers and zombies and monks and shit *can* sidestep, zuh?

I can see how someone would love this game. Really. It's extremely tense and dark and the graphics are fantastic. But you have to be down with the control scheme, and I am not.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    I was playing manhunt for most of last weekend instead of WoW. Of course, it's not a horror game in the same sense as resident evil, but the gore is extreme and somewhat disturbing. The crunching animation of ripping a neck in half with a crowbar is pretty realistic and I can't use machette executions without thinking of rwanda. As far as stealth games go, however, it's the only one I didn't get bored with 2 stages in...
  • Reply 12 of 22
    Manhunt reminded me of the book Blindness by Jose Saramago.

So, obviously, it disturbed me a great deal.

[edit]

You know, these games take millions of dollars to develop and huge staffs of designers. There are some really sick people out there.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Manhunt reminded me of the book Blindness by Jose Saramago.

God. I just finished that in March. I had to put it down and walk away for sometimes days in parts.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I had the same experience reading the Bridges of Madison County.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

I had the same experience reading the Bridges of Madison County.

ROFLMAO
  • Reply 16 of 22
    Quote:

You know, these games take millions of dollars to develop and huge staffs of designers. There are some really sick people out there.

really rich sick people out there
  • Reply 17 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

God. I just finished that in March. I had to put it down and walk away for sometimes days in parts.

What, you don't like gang rape?

• Reply 18 of 22
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

What, you don't like gang rape?

Indeed. It also seemed that everything I encountered while I was reading it was likewise a meditation on the human capacity for cruelty (i.e. the various recent zombie movies).

But when the guy said "Suck it," I just lost it.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    The game gets MUCH less frightening once you obtain the Chicago Typewriter.

\\m/
  • Reply 20 of 22
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

Same thing here. But it took me a year to finish it.