LaCie d2 160G HD kaput?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hey guys,

So yesterday when I turned on my computer I realized it was running a whole lot quiter, and saw that this was because my external LaCie d2 160G HD wasn't spinning.

Link to specific HD I'm talking about: http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10570

Anyway, when I start the computer the drive turns on, but the blue indicator light/button on it flickers instead of being on. The HD doesn't spin, and of course it isn't recognized by my computer. I've had the guy for a little over a year, which means the warrantee just ran out also. Most of all I'm just concerned that my 100+G's of software, pictures and music are gone. Very concerned, because a lot of that stuff was pretty irreplacable.... (ie pics and videos of my dead dog and such)

Any ideas? It's worked without a hitch for over a year, and now this.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by digitalandres

Hey guys,

So yesterday when I turned on my computer I realized it was running a whole lot quiter, and saw that this was because my external LaCie d2 160G HD wasn't spinning.

Link to specific HD I'm talking about: http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10570

Anyway, when I start the computer the drive turns on, but the blue indicator light/button on it flickers instead of being on. The HD doesn't spin, and of course it isn't recognized by my computer. I've had the guy for a little over a year, which means the warrantee just ran out also. Most of all I'm just concerned that my 100+G's of software, pictures and music are gone. Very concerned, because a lot of that stuff was pretty irreplacable.... (ie pics and videos of my dead dog and such)

Any ideas? It's worked without a hitch for over a year, and now this.

sorry to hear that. you didn't backup the backup drive right? \
  • Reply 2 of 3
    pevepeve Posts: 518member
    my guess: case dead

but this dosn't mean your data is gone.

i would: open up case of lacie d2 take out 3,5" harddrive and plug the harddrive ino a new case.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    What do you mean plug it into a new case? Are you saying that the drive is allright but somehow not getting power or something?