Daisy chaining and firewire

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I recently daisy chained two external hard drives to a 12 inch Powerbook 1.5 running 10.3.9 through a Belkin 4 port firewire hub. Since the machine only has one firewire port I need to use the hub to hook up my drives, scanner, and ipod simultaneously.

It was working fine until I removed the battery today (to see if it needed to be replaced as part of the battery recall) and when I restarted the powerbook back it froze halfway through startup. It gave the multi-lingual warning/suggestion that I needed to restart.

Working my way back I discovered that neither the hub nor the daisy chain techniques work now, though I can hook up one device at a time.

Any idea why this would happen?

Is there some way to reset the firewire?

Many thanks,

Luke

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Try a permissions repair - daisy chaining has always worked fine for me and I unplugged my battery while using it to check today as well!
  • Reply 2 of 5
    lukeblukeb Posts: 6member
    Nope, reparing permissions did not effect the outcome: still crashed.

It seems like it is adding the second external hard drive that makes the conflict.

Reformat drive?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by lukeb

Nope, reparing permissions did not effect the outcome: still crashed.

It seems like it is adding the second external hard drive that makes the conflict.

Reformat drive?

There could be a corruption, yes. What happens if you add the third drive second?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    lukeblukeb Posts: 6member
    Yes, if I add the third drive, a Maxtor 160GB, it crashes the system.

I recently reformatted it, but maybe I will do a zero level reformatting and see if that helps...
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Well if it crashes when you plug either drive second there may be a problem with the computer - not the HD. Try plugging in the other drives and not the first one.