Powermac G4 Heat Issues

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hey guys, I have an old G4 Quicksilver dual 1 GHz. I was looking to use it as a server, and put 4 100GB hard drives in it and RAID them all. At what temperatures should I be concerned because two of the hard drives are right in front of the fan?

I set it up and ran it and temperatures approached 140 degrees F. It never ran that hot, is it well within the range of safe?

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    To be on the safe side I wouldn't block any fans - could you not use bigger HDs and partition them?
  • Reply 2 of 3
    mmbarthezmmbarthez Posts: 40member
    Well, I was going to use this as a family photo sever and a family music server, so having the space is needed, and this power mac wont work with a drive above 128 GB in size, so going to something like 2 250 GB wouldn?t work. There still is air flow, but there is less because of the hard drives. It has been ok so far and it has been up for about 24 hours, so hopefully it will be ok.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mmbarthez

Well, I was going to use this as a family photo sever and a family music server, so having the space is needed, and this power mac wont work with a drive above 128 GB in size, so going to something like 2 250 GB wouldn?t work. There still is air flow, but there is less because of the hard drives. It has been ok so far and it has been up for about 24 hours, so hopefully it will be ok.

If they're going in the correct places they ought to be ok