Where did quicktime go?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Ok, I have Tiger isntalled on my iBook 12", and i uninstalled Quicktime cuz i wanted to reinstall it. however, now that i have uninstalled it, i cant figure out how to reinstall it. I couldnt find the program on my Tiger disk or my Panther disk, When i try to download it from apple's quicktime site, it's only for 10.3.9 Panther. and it wont let me install that. It wasnt part of the optional packages on the disks. does that mean i have to reinstall the OS to get it? thats pretty crappy. thx for ne help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    OK, there are a few options available to you:

Does this not work for tiger: http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos...icktime70.html ?

If not download TinkerTool and enable hidden folders and files. Then insert the Tiger DVD. Inside this DVD will be a package for QuickTime - I can't remember which folder it's in.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    cnuco2007cnuco2007 Posts: 73member
    Yea, thats the download i tried and it said that it requries a version of OS X earlier than what i have. i thought that was strange. I'll have to give that other hidden folder revealer program a try. thx.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CNUco2007

Ok, I have Tiger isntalled on my iBook 12", and i uninstalled Quicktime cuz i wanted to reinstall it. however, now that i have uninstalled it, i cant figure out how to reinstall it. I couldnt find the program on my Tiger disk or my Panther disk, When i try to download it from apple's quicktime site, it's only for 10.3.9 Panther. and it wont let me install that. It wasnt part of the optional packages on the disks. does that mean i have to reinstall the OS to get it? thats pretty crappy. thx for ne help.

This thing you are calling "QuickTime" - do you mean the QuickTime Player application? QuickTime is part of the OS and I find it hard to believe that you "uninstalled" it.

Although in any case you should be able to reinstall the QT 7 download.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    yea, i uninstalled the Quicktime player app. Also, i already tried installing the Quicktime player 7, and it said it was for panther only. which doesnt make sense.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Well i wasn't able to find the install file on the OS X Tiger disk. all i found was QuicktimeSDK.pkg and that didnt help. Also i tried downlaoding the Quicktime 7 again and i still got the same error msg:

I really have no idea how i can reinstall the app. i really dont want to reinstall the entire OS. There has go to be a way to reinstall it. i dont understand why the downloaded version needs something less than 10.4. eh Any ideas would help. thx
  • Reply 6 of 11
    the generalthe general Posts: 649member
    The reason the download version doesnt work in tiger, is because TIGER comes wtih 7.0, I guess they figured no one would be wacky enough to kill it(since its part off the OS).

I say just reinstall the os over itself. or, if you just deleted the player(and nothing else) maybe you could get some kind soul to zip it up and email it to ya..
  • Reply 7 of 11
    yea all i did was remove the player. i can still use the quicktime player inside the browser. but yea, i resinstalled the OS over my current one and everything is fine now. i didnt even lose ne files. just had to reinstall a couple things. thx for ur help.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    try MediaFiles.pkg

(oh and it looks like hidden files don't need to be enabled btw)
  • Reply 9 of 11
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    Wild thought but did you try Software Update?
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by neutrino23

Wild thought but did you try Software Update?

that would repair the frameworks but would it repair the player?
  • Reply 11 of 11
    yes i did try software update. its one of the first things i tried but it didnt work. i have reinstalled the os over itself and that has fixed my problem. i only had to reinstall like 2 prgms. all my other files were still there. pretty nice. scary thing is i also regained like 2Gbs of space. not sure why but what ever lol