quicktime7 pro h.264 versus x264 (eg. in HandBrake)

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
umm... there are some rumblings that x264 implementation of avc/h.264 is better than qt7pro avc/h.264

just wanted to send a shout out to some people that have raised issues with qt7pro h.264 encoding... i might have some 'bake-off' as in head-to-head comparisons, but umm... basically doom9.org (or is that doom9.net) forums have covered these issues quite well.

am giving handbrake and the x264 codec a spin on a good 'print' (DVD region 1 quality DVD of Deep Impact (remember, it was the other late 90's the world is d00med!! movie )

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    damn... these open source guys are hardcore and have too much time on their hands..!!!!
  • Reply 2 of 9
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    The only time I've used H.264 (a while now though) was using HandBrake. But not havint QT7 or Tiger or a fast Mac I've used it rarely.

Tell us how it goes. My only example was an ep of spongebob
  • Reply 3 of 9
    I would be careful with how these comparisons are made, it's very easy to reinforce prejudices in these kinds of things.

On the other hand Ben Waggoner (who knows what he's talking about) posted various test clips using a range of modern encoders (though not x264), which most people seem to think QT7 won, and has also described Apple's h.264 as 'surprisingly good'.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    And that's saying something too because in the past Ben has had no problems ripping Apple's codec quality to shreds. He's an honest guy.

I think QT7's biggest issue is encoding speed. I don't see many problems with the final result.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

I think QT7's biggest issue is encoding speed. I don't see many problems with the final result.

Or being able to rip DVDs

Thats why I use Handbrake. H.264 in general could use a speed up.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    you might be interested in this thread
  • Reply 7 of 9
    hmm well HandBrake and speed is very impressive, but for quality i'm going with quicktime7pro h.264 for now...

yeah i'm keeping an open mind, still learning a lot, and while handbrake is faster it's all way too slow on my mac unless i overnight stuff, which i may do...

quicktime7pro h.264 has nasty artifacts when presented with graphical (eg "coming in summer") text on black backgrounds... i think it has to do with frame reordering or something

anyway, when i get my 1080p-capable 17" wide powerBook g5 dual-core with 10.4.2 with h.264-accelerated 2D/3D super-GPU i'll be ready for the HD revolution
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

you might be interested in this thread

thanks
  • Reply 9 of 9
    a well-encoded anamorphic DVD-region-1 "print" is still the best though

and it comes pre-burnt onto a DVD so you don't have to burn it yourself

*sigh*