Cheapest way to import analog video.

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have some 8mm and Hi8 tapes from a couple years back (weddings and such) that I want to digitize. I have a G4 PB and a RevB iMac 2GHz. I am looking for the cheapest way to digitize these and have them available for some editing and possible transfer to DVD. The thing is, I see myself getting a MiniDV camera (or something similar) in the next year or so and don't have use for high-end analog transfer equipement (since after doing the transfer of these tapes, I will have no use for it). My old Sony camcorder has the typical S-Video and RCA outputs.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I want to keep this cheap!!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    the canopus advc-110. it has locked audio and is cheap.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    I think you have a few options.

1) Transcode in Digital8 camera (converting to DV tape using camera feature)

2) Pass through camera without transcode (using the DAC to convert, but not duping tape)

IIRC, Sony made or still makes a variety of 8mm-to-DV transcoding cameras called Digital8.

Basically, you stick in your Hi8 tape and the camera not only imports it, but effectively converts it to DV on the fly. Some of the new versions of these cameras are described here

In either case, see if you could rent such tools (if you only have a few tapes to convert).

If you had a medium number of tapes, perhaps consider a service bureau.

Depending on the cable connectors you've got available on Hi8/DV/Computer, you should be able to replicate the quality you'd get from a dedicated capture card like the Pinnacle (reportedly a bit flaky) purely from passthrough in the 2nd setup.