Mouse Lag

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I was wondering if its me or if this is normal.

I find when connecting a mouse to my 12 inch Powerbook that the mouse just isnt smooth when moving it around. It feels CHOPPY unlike when I use my desktop PC.

I have tried a few wired mouse, a few wireless mouse and have recently picked up the Macally BTMouseJr. All still have this choppy feel.

Is there a way to get the mouse to run smoother or a setting that Im overlooking. Hmmm, some reason when I get this è instead of an aposterphy (okay cant spell either!). Must be a setting Ive checked...will look into that, its getting annoying.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated...thx

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    barnesbarnes Posts: 2member
    Your mouse feels normal with the track pad?

Are you from Canada? If so, go to Prefs>international , change your keyboard settings to USA and use normal punctuation. It happens when you enter your location during the first run for some reason.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Is it plugged in through an external hub? My mouse had major problems when connected through a hub - exposé kept on launching and clicking was unreliable - not good when you're going through menus!
  • Reply 3 of 9
    santasanta Posts: 67member
    Have you tried running the Cron scripts? If these aren't cleared periodically, mouse and keyboard responces can slow down.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    Going from a PC to a MAC the mouse can feel slow, even on the highest sensitivity setting. One thing you can do is use USB OverdriveX, if it's a USB mouse. The sensitivity settings on that go higher than the built-in preference pane will allow. The Microsoft Intellipoint drivers will do the same thing if it's a MS Mouse, though I don't like those drivers. I would personally suggest USB Overdrive.

I think that it's funny that more people don't realize this. I had a chuckle that this wasn't one of the first suggestions brought up. This is personally one of the first things that I noticed when started using OS X. Now I can go between both without a problem (and without the need for USB Overdrive). I've gotten used to it.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    I haven't noticed a major difference but I was always brought up on Macs. Macs apparently make more use of the acceleration idea - used on the iPods as well.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Santa

Have you tried running the Cron scripts? If these aren't cleared periodically, mouse and keyboard responces can slow down.

Bowaaa? What is a Cron script and how can I clear it?
  • Reply 7 of 9
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ichiban_jay

Bowaaa? What is a Cron script and how can I clear it?

You don't have to - those have nothing to do with the mouse. All they do is archive the log files and start new ones, and some other housekeeping.

They run automatically if you leave your machine on 24/7.

If you want to run the daily script, launch Terminal and type

cd /etc

sudo ./daily

and enter your admin password when prompted.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barnes

Your mouse feels normal with the track pad?

Are you from Canada? If so, go to Prefs>international , change your keyboard settings to USA and use normal punctuation. It happens when you enter your location during the first run for some reason.

Barnes, thx for the tip...yes I'm in Canada and had both Canada and U.S. ticked.

I have unticked Canada. I looked around but don't know where the 'normal punctuation' option is.

Well, my apostophy problem is fixed as you can see. I'm currently loving the BTMouseJR which is bluetooth...pretty cool! The change made the mouse feel a bit better but zooming to the red dot to close an application or the yellow or green ones or other icons on apps, I find I have to be precise with a bit of a struggle to get there. Must be a Mac thing but a minor one.

My windows mouse which is the wireless Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer feels really smooth. And yes, this was one of the first things I noticed when I ventured to Mac. I also tried this mouse but didn't load any drivers....it feels better but not as smooth on the Windows PC.

My father-in-law has a Mac and on the weekend I checked out his mouse and his also had that same yukky lag.

Thanks everyone for all your help and suggestions, I'll check out the USB Overdrive thingy too...sounds interesting!
  • Reply 9 of 9
    santasanta Posts: 67member
    To run the three Cron routines try the freeware MacJanitor

http://personalpages.tds.net/~brian_...acjanitor.html

A friend of mine that bought my old G3 complained to me that it had slowed to a crawl re. keys & mouse responses, and clearing with MacJanitor fixed it up fine.