Quick Poll: Crucial.com Memory

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi peoples,

i am in malaysia at the moment (3degN 100degE)

a family friend in washington DC will be flying here next week. i am thinking of getting Crucial Ram online, to be delivered to his wash.DC address so that he can bring it over here to malaysia for me.

so, bottom line is, it has to work right-off-the-bat, no DOA because it will be a BIG pain in the ass to send it all the way back to USA from here to get it replaced.

let's have some fun

RATE my chances that the crucial.com 512mb pc2100 or pc2700 sodimm for my iBook g4 933mhz will work first go and i will have no problems ?

thanks for playing...

ps. if i do this plan i basically get crucial.com verified RAM, plus save $200 worth of my local currency by this route.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    regreg Posts: 832member
    I have never had any problem with any of their memory. I have done 2 school labs and plenty of desktop and laptop macs so I figure about 150 chances. I just wish my luck was that good when playing the lotttery.

reg
  • Reply 2 of 13
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    good stuff... thanks for the help peoples...

edit: i might use the money to buy episode4,5,6 of starwars on DVD instead of getting RAM though \
  • Reply 3 of 13
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

edit: i might use the money to buy episode4,5,6 of starwars on DVD instead of getting RAM though \

The extra DVD in that set is disappointing. I was expecting some really cool extras, like behind the scenes extras focusing on the special effects (which were cutting edge at the time). But it was mostly that one 3 hour special that was basically a timeline of 'Star Wars' (in the real world... not some SW Universe thing) with comments on the hard ships of George Lucas getting things done to put it out and battling with the execs, etc. It was like an overview of everything. But that's all off-topic, so I return you to your regularly scheduled topic.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by pyr3

The extra DVD in that set is disappointing. I was expecting some really cool extras, like behind the scenes extras focusing on the special effects (which were cutting edge at the time). But it was mostly that one 3 hour special that was basically a timeline of 'Star Wars' (in the real world... not some SW Universe thing) with comments on the hard ships of George Lucas getting things done to put it out and battling with the execs, etc. It was like an overview of everything. But that's all off-topic, so I return you to your regularly scheduled topic.

hey, thanks for the heads up... i am in my dad's clinic at the moment so the dvd shop is a few doors down... my feelings betray me, i will have to walk down and see if they have it there...!

it is on topic, i am deciding whether to buy crucial.com RAM or.... something else eg. starwars.... i don't care about the extras, i just want a nice clean DVD 'print' of episode 4, 5, 6... digitally remolested... i mean remastered, is okay, given i've been warned about han shooting second, and young anakin appearing in spirit at the end of episode 6
  • Reply 5 of 13
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I had one faulty stick of RAM from Crucial once, but their customer service and exchange policy were quite pleasant to deal with. You shouldn't have problems with the RAM you buy from them, but if you have to exchange it expect few problems.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    Quote:

hey, thanks for the heads up... i am in my dad's clinic at the moment so the dvd shop is a few doors down... my feelings betray me, i will have to walk down and see if they have it there...!

it is on topic, i am deciding whether to buy crucial.com RAM or.... something else eg. starwars.... i don't care about the extras, i just want a nice clean DVD 'print' of episode 4, 5, 6... digitally remolested... i mean remastered, is okay, given i've been warned about han shooting second, and young anakin appearing in spirit at the end of episode 6

I'm sure Lucas will release the originals eventually. I did download a LD->DVD-R of Episode 4 which isn't that bad, not exactly DVD quality though. (And I don't feel bad about it because I've already paid for the Star Wars Trilogy on DVD anyways, so boohoo that George Lucas doesn't like it, he's not selling a DVD version of the originals for me to buy)
  • Reply 7 of 13
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

han shooting second

what's this?
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

what's this?

in the remolested DVD for empire strikes back, han shoots only after Greedo shoots. originally, he shoots first, ask questions later
  • Reply 9 of 13
    i ended up buying Keynote2 and Pages (iWork '05)

but sounds like crucial.com is da bomb!
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Well,

Crucial.com has consistently higher prices than dealram (http://www.dealram.com). Usually OWC or newegg has the overall lowest prices, but I've seen some %50 discounts over crucial for some systems....

-j
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by kalikkalik

Well,

Crucial.com has consistently higher prices than dealram (http://www.dealram.com). Usually OWC or newegg has the overall lowest prices, but I've seen some %50 discounts over crucial for some systems....

-j

thanks dude... just wondering tho' would you rate DealRam as high as the others have in the poll above ?? curious...

edit: nevermind, i'm an idiot... just checked out what dealram.com is

edit2: well i'm not such an idiot.. i am wondering what the reliability of those vendors listed on DealRam are like...
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Well,

I've never had problems with OWC, newegg, crucial, transintl, 18004memory...not sure about the rest but dealram is run by some pretty reputable folks; they've kept most of the rif-raf out.

Never had any problems, and ordered a ton or RAM over the years...

-j
  • Reply 13 of 13
    hardeeharharhardeeharhar Posts: 4,841member
    call crucial ahead of time...

sometimes their ram doesn't work with specific models of apple computers. for instance, my 17" powerbook, ultimately they sold me a repackaged chip from apple...