Exchange Server and Mail.app (and Tiger)

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
OK, I will beat this dead horse again (sigh)...

Will there ever be a seamless solution for OS X and Exchange 2003 servers? I was hoping TIger and Mail.app 2.0 would kick ass in the corporate world, but it still SUCKS in my opinion.

I'd love to get robust messaging, email, calendars, public folders and appointments to work in Mail.app (and iCal & AddressBook of course).

Why is Apple dropping the ball here? Hell, Even Entourage sucks and has basically the same lame limitations as Mail.app in terms of Exchange connectivity (or the lack thereof)

I know that the evil propriatery MAPI protocol will probably never work without MS's blessing (like it did back in Outlook 2001 for OS 9). Any comments on why MAPI is so hard to pull off?

Novell has this product, which looks damn good to me:

http://www.novell.com/products/deskt...evolution.html

Any chance it will run on OS X?

These plug-ins look cool, but no Exchange tools:

http://www.tikouka.net/mailapp/

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dstranathan

OK, I will beat this dead horse again (sigh)...

Will there ever be a seamless solution for OS X and Exchange 2003 servers? I was hoping TIger and Mail.app 2.0 would kick ass in the corporate world, but it still SUCKS in my opinion.

I'd love to get robust messaging, email, calendars, public folders and appointments to work in Mail.app (and iCal & AddressBook of course).

Why is Apple dropping the ball here? Hell, Even Entourage sucks and has basically the same lame limitations as Mail.app in terms of Exchange connectivity (or the lack thereof)

I know that the evil propriatery MAPI protocol will probably never work without MS's blessing (like it did back in Outlook 2001 for OS 9). Any comments on why MAPI is so hard to pull off?

Novell has this product, which looks damn good to me:

http://www.novell.com/products/deskt...evolution.html

Any chance it will run on OS X?

These plug-ins look cool, but no Exchange tools:

http://www.tikouka.net/mailapp/

OK, OK, OK. I know that its all Apple's fault. That's a given. But as a blind Apple fan, I will reflexively defend my Favorite Fruit Company against all charges. The most obvious defense is that Exchange is a proprietary Microsoft product. We should not expect perfect compatibility from third-party developers like Apple Computer. Having said that, many Mac users find that Mail actually works better with Exchange than does Microsoft's own product, Entourage. Certainly, I find that Microsoft Entourage 2004 is one of the most opaque applications that I have ever used. I have actually managed to get it to work as an Exchange (without using IMAP) client. Entourage does its own thing with the personal address book that I created in Outlook 2001. It completely ignores my mailing lists. They don't show up when I connect to my Exchanger server via Entourage. Entourage also substitutes Exchange email addresses for the outside addresses I use for certain people in my address book.

As a rabid Mac fan, I beg forgiveness for trying to excuse Apple's lame Exchange support by pointing out some of the weaknesses Microsoft's own Exchange compatibility. Be kind.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    According to these guys there is an active project to port Evolution over to MacOS X but I have yet to see any fruits. I hope they are successful too, because Entourage 2004 is only slightly better than version X. I mean, you still can't see public folders/calendars and no way to set the out of office from Entourage? What garbage is that?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Outsider

According to these guys there is an active project to port Evolution over to MacOS X but I have yet to see any fruits. I hope they are successful too, because Entourage 2004 is only slightly better than version X. I mean, you still can't see public folders/calendars and no way to set the out of office from Entourage? What garbage is that?

Um, http://forge.novell.com/modules/xfmo...ect/?evolution . I'm downloading now.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Outsider

With my installation of Entourage 2004, I can see both public folders and Exchange calendars. However, I cannot see public folders in Outlook 2001. From the experiences that various Mac Exchange users are having, it seems that they vary from implementation to implementation. I read of people looking for the perfect Exchange client. I read of groups trying to develop the perfect Exchange client. From all I know of Exchange, there is no such thing unless you are running Windows.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    isracesisraces Posts: 92member
    If anyone is willing, I'd love some help getting entourage or the apple apps working with an exchange 2003 server. I've been having, um, "problems."

PM me.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by israces

If anyone is willing, I'd love some help getting entourage or the apple apps working with an exchange 2003 server. I've been having, um, "problems."

PM me.

Don't you think that it would be better to discuss your problems in the open. This way, everyone benefits.