.dmg files not downloading properly

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I run a small website, and amongst other things, have a few .dmg files created using Apple Disk Utility thingy on 10.3.9, by creating disk image from a folder (the folder is actually an open image file - I create folder, and then choose that mounted drive).

My problem is that in Internet Explorer, clicking on a simple link to this file doesn't not cause it to download - it appears as garbled text on the users screen. It works fine in Safari, but not in IE.

This puzzles me a bit however, as I have noticed that IE does not do this with all .dmg files - I tried a few others out on VersionTracker. What gives? What is the difference between dmg files?!

As an example, try this link in IE, you will see what I mean.

Thanks for the help

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    g_warreng_warren Posts: 713member
    No-one any ideas? (Bump bump)
  • Reply 2 of 6
    allinoneallinone Posts: 279member
    Quote:

Originally posted by G_Warren

I run a small website, and amongst other things, have a few .dmg files created using Apple Disk Utility thingy on 10.3.9, by creating disk image from a folder (the folder is actually an open image file - I create folder, and then choose that mounted drive).

My problem is that in Internet Explorer, clicking on a simple link to this file doesn't not cause it to download - it appears as garbled text on the users screen. It works fine in Safari, but not in IE.

This puzzles me a bit however, as I have noticed that IE does not do this with all .dmg files - I tried a few others out on VersionTracker. What gives? What is the difference between dmg files?!

As an example, try this link in IE, you will see what I mean.

Thanks for the help

You need to set the mime-type for .dmg files.

Assuming that your webserver is running Apache you could do this in an .htaccess file.

Here's a link that explains what needs to be added to the .htaccess file.

http://macosxhints.com/article.php?s...40211102018600
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by AllInOne

You need to set the mime-type for .dmg files.

Assuming that your webserver is running Apache you could do this in an .htaccess file.

Here's a link that explains what needs to be added to the .htaccess file.

http://macosxhints.com/article.php?s...40211102018600

Ah, so it's my ISPs fault, since my ISP is hosting the files. Oh well, guess I'll need to encode them in .gz or something, that seemed to work before. Thanks
  • Reply 4 of 6
    If you are running Apache and if your ISP allows .htacess files (most do) you can make the change yourself...
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Thanks for the help. I'm not the best with web configuration, so basically, do I just create a text file called .htaccess and stick "AddType application/octet-stream .dmg" in it?

Thanks
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by G_Warren

Thanks for the help. I'm not the best with web configuration, so basically, do I just create a text file called .htaccess and stick "AddType application/octet-stream .dmg" in it?

Thanks

Yes that is correct.

Put the file in the same directory as the .dmg (or anywhere above it in the file hierarchy).