Burner Won't Recognise Blank Disc

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Howdy genii

I've been using Roxio Toast Titanium 6.0 for a few months now and all has been great. Now, however, after importing the dvd, the pop-up that asks me to put in a writable blank disc comes up. I do so and after a couple of minutes it will eject it and ask me to insert a blank writeable disc again. It doesn't seem to recognise the little darling. I could sit here all night doing this .... but I won't.

Help help help

best wishes

Me

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    I would try different brands.

I bought a spool of imation DVDs and they didn't work, Apple's brand does and so does Verbatium.

flick.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    exhibit_13exhibit_13 Posts: 110member
    i usually like imations, but if they don't work, sony discs tend to work well in my experience
  • Reply 3 of 13
    rob05aurob05au Posts: 348member
    I tend to use Apples DVDs and Verbatium nad also TDK which out of around 50 all up I have had 1 bad disc.

Rob 8)
  • Reply 4 of 13
    drumsticksdrumsticks Posts: 315member
    I had a similar problem, but burning from Finder instead. The solution was to force quit Finder, or a restart. This problem is new to Tiger and is a result of the system 'forgetting' that you have a SuperDrive installed. See if that helps? I didn't save the link to the information. Sorry!
  • Reply 5 of 13
    WELL, I'VE TRIED VERBATIM discs and ... nothing... same same

It may be a copy of Verbatim though. I am, after all in China, the capitalof copies. I'm trying to find another source. Will get back to yas.

Thanks for your help so far.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mamahoohoo

WELL, I'VE TRIED VERBATIM discs and ... nothing... same same

It may be a copy of Verbatim though. I am, after all in China, the capitalof copies. I'm trying to find another source. Will get back to yas.

Thanks for your help so far.

ya i jsut realized tonight that something in tiger has rendered my dvd burner useless. i'll be calling apple tomorrow.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    regreg Posts: 832member
    I am not sure if this will work. Check your System Preference/Hardware/CD's & DVD's. Make sure that Toast is selected for inserted blank CD and DVD. It might be you have Ignore selected and that might be your problem.

There was also this topic at Macfixit.com

Mac OS X 10.4: CD/DVD burning problems: Errors, blank discs not recognized

It is in the archives and I am not a macfixit pro subscriber so I can not follow that link.

reg
  • Reply 8 of 13
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

ya i jsut realized tonight that something in tiger has rendered my dvd burner useless. i'll be calling apple tomorrow.

try http://www.patchburn.de/

it solved my Tiger 10.4.1 blank disk recognition problemas.

be forewarned though that it involves your drive firmware patching
  • Reply 9 of 13
    ummmm ... I'm almost embarrassed to point out that I'm still running Panther. Does this advice still apply? I'll visit the site you suggested anyway and get back to you.

cheers
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by mamahoohoo

ummmm ... I'm almost embarrassed to point out that I'm still running Panther. Does this advice still apply? I'll visit the site you suggested anyway and get back to you.

cheers

no shame mate, no shame...

i wouldn't run anything mission or business critical on tiger juuust yet...
  • Reply 11 of 13
    'sme again

Tried that but I get a popup telling me the writer is already supported by Mac OS X.

Where to now, my trusty colleagues? I bought this powerbook when it was about 11 months old. Maybe the writer has been overtaxed and just needs replacing. It does make some funny noises every now and then. But then I don't have any problems with burning cd's. Just dvd's.

Hope you can help.

• Reply 12 of 13
    covered by applecare? if not though maybe get a us$200 8x superdrive upgrade... may be a good time for a dual-layer dvd burner thingy if you be burning lotsa dvds...

http://www.mcetech.com/pbg4dvdr8dl.html

you can also get Tiger $50 off if you get the drive

edit:

i'm outta ideas and getting sleeeepy, good luck dude...
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Thank you Sunilraman.

I will overcome.

eventually.