Force Enable Quartz 2D extreme in Tiger for iBook g4

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
edit...

(for some who have asked, i will run through some stuff here soon... and also others feel free to chime in )

okay, i am actually pretty confused now, because i know

quartz extreme is enabled

but not quartz 2d extreme

i think i have got a bit lost with this whole force-enable quartz thing... anyway, some screenshots for now...

brain melted for some reason just enjoy screenshots first

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    edit: using the property-list-editor i think i was able to overwrite the com.apple.windowserver.plist to set quartz2D to "yes" but not sure if this worked
  • Reply 2 of 16
    zoczoc Posts: 77member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

edit: using the property-list-editor i think i was able to overwrite the com.apple.windowserver.plist to set quartz2D to "yes" but not sure if this worked

Q2DE does not work on iBooks because it needs at least 64 Mbytes of video memory, and, if I'm not wrong, iBooks only have 32 Mbytes.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    gsxrboygsxrboy Posts: 565member
    Less to do with the memory but more to do with programmable bits on the gpu.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Quartz Debug says your computer does not support it. What is the GPU in that machine?
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

Quartz Debug says your computer does not support it. What is the GPU in that machine?

ati mobility radeon 9200 yeah it's not on "the list"
  • Reply 6 of 16
    danmacmandanmacman Posts: 773member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Zoc

Q2DE does not work on iBooks because it needs at least 64 Mbytes of video memory, and, if I'm not wrong, iBooks only have 32 Mbytes.

Q2DE only requires 32MB - I have it running on my 1Ghz 12" PB right now. The key requirement is having a programmable gpu.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    cnuco2007cnuco2007 Posts: 73member
    if you have it running what gpu do you have? oh, and how did u get it to run. editing that file didnt seem to do nething. \
  • Reply 8 of 16
    danmacmandanmacman Posts: 773member
    This topic has been discussed to death... please reference the previous thread.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Hey, sunilraman, what's going on with you ? If I am not mistaken I answered this question in another thread specially for you. And yes, DanMacMan is right, the key requirement is a programmable GPU.

The iBook GPU can perfectly run Quartz Extreme, but not Quartz 2D Extreme (the Radeon 9200 is not programmable). So, your screenshots show what they should. There is nothing wrong, nothing contradictory.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Hey, sunilraman, what's going on with you ? If I am not mistaken I answered this question in another thread specially for you. And yes, DanMacMan is right, the key requirement is a programmable GPU.

The iBook GPU can perfectly run Quartz Extreme, but not Quartz 2D Extreme (the Radeon 9200 is not programmable). So, your screenshots show what they should. There is nothing wrong, nothing contradictory.

sigh i kinda "lost" my ibook charger sometime this week and a bit of other stuff going on so i apologise for the confusion

but its all cool now

damn you guys are all so damn 'leet'... i'm not worthy!!
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Quote:

sigh i kinda "lost" my ibook charger sometime this week and a bit of other stuff going on so i apologise for the confusion

No problem .

Quote:

damn you guys are all so damn 'leet'...

What's "leet"? You know, not all here have english as mother tongue.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

....What's "leet"? You know, not all here have english as mother tongue.

umm its not exactly English

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leet

clarification

i meant 'leet' as in 'Elite' ... not as in childish teenagers trying to be cool using 'leet'speak...
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Quote:

umm its not exactly English

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leet

clarification

i meant 'leet' as in 'Elite' ... not as in childish teenagers trying to be cool using 'leet'speak...

Wow, thanks .
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Wow, thanks .

For more information, see http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...n/kidtalk.mspx
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by gregmightdothat

For more information, see http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...n/kidtalk.mspx

Second wow, see, it is a while now since I was a kid. I think I have just been pwn3d .
  • Reply 16 of 16
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Second wow, see, it is a while now since I was a kid. I think I have just been pwn3d .

I was seriously 0\\/\\/n3d too