Windows Sharing broken in Tiger?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I've been able to connect on our network to another Windows machine since Jaguar. Recently the Windows machine was upgraded to WindowsXP. The Mac I use (G4 Dual 867) was still on Panther and it worked perfectly.

Then last week I installed Tiger on Friday, came back Monday morning and finished setting it up, but now there's an anomaly... when I click to connect to the Windows machine, the progress bar pops up saying "connecting..." but it just stays there for a long time. If I leave it there, about 10-15 minutes later the username/password window pops up for the Windows machine. I fill it in, click okay... and nothing.

This happens any way I try to connect: by in the address or by using the network browser.

Running 10.4.1

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    cnuco2007cnuco2007 Posts: 73member
    have you tried it with all your firewalls disabled? XP SP2 has a firewall enabled by default. Check both machines though and see if your just being blocked by that.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CNUco2007

have you tried it with all your firewalls disabled? XP SP2 has a firewall enabled by default. Check both machines though and see if your just being blocked by that.

Nothing changed on the Windows machine over the weekend (nobody here). The only thing that changed was that I installed Tiger. And it's not that it's being blocked, it's that it's taking forever to connect.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Tiger is the first Mac OS that I've been able to get to talk to a PC.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    Tiger works really well with SMB mounts.

Panther only supported up to 10 character share names but Tiger support longer share names.

Dobby.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    Tiger's SMB/CIFS support rules on my computers. I noticed that the connections to my Linux server running Samba were A LOT faster. Just listing the directories is a lot snappier than Panther.

One thing that I noticed is that it doesn't put the arrows next to the folders right away though. I'm thinking that before they were trying to determine all of the properties of the items in a folder before displaying the list of items in Finder, but now it gets the list and displays it, then goes back to determine the properties of the items, such as if a folder is empty or not.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    So I guess there's something wrong with our setup then.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    karl kuehnkarl kuehn Posts: 756member
    Not that this proves anything... it just gives another data point: I had problems this morning connecting from a Windows box to my 10.4.1 box. But there are lots of complicating factors, prime among them is that both are joined to an ActiveDirectory domain, so the windows box was expecting to credential via Kerberos/Windows.

There was probably a solution out there, but I didn't take the time to find it.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    voloxvolox Posts: 11member
    Try giving your Mac a shorter name for now, and temporarily turn off all anti-virus software on your PC. What happens?
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Volox

Try giving your Mac a shorter name for now, and temporarily turn off all anti-virus software on your PC. What happens?

I will try this when I have a free moment.

This is the error message I get most of the time (after waiting for it to log in for awhile). The space before the SMB is not a typo.

The Finder cannot complete the operation because some of the data in " smb://192.168.1.106" could not be read or written.

(Error code -36).
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Okay, this is interesting...

I just noticed that the name for the computer I'm trying the connect to shows up in my browser as "Sherry-Pent". So instead of the SMB address I typed in "smb://Sherry-Pent" and I logged in successfully.

Perhaps the number I was given was no longer valid, but the "tech" guy in our company said nothing changed.