Windows Media Player

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I've tried several times to listen to music on windows media player, but I keep getting this wierd message that tells me to try again. I was wondering if there was anybody else here having the same problem when they try to open window media files?

And is there anybody here that can help me fix this problem?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Muchisgiven

I've tried several times to listen to music on windows media player, but I keep getting this wierd message that tells me to try again. I was wondering if there was anybody else here having the same problem when they try to open window media files?

And is there anybody here that can help me fix this problem?

Without knowing anything about your files, there is nothing we do to help you, buddy.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    xflarexflare Posts: 199member
    I've heard you have to delete some preference files associated with it.

Maybe you could search your computer for ALL files related to windows media player, delete them and then re-install it fresh?

......i think if you look in /Library/Preferences and remove anything related to media player it might work.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    jwink3101jwink3101 Posts: 739member
    I know there are two windows media proferences, one of which has previously opened files. They are located in ~/library/preference/ . They are near the bottom.

That may help
  • Reply 4 of 15
    i haven't found any files that are associated with Windows Media Player...the message that I get says, that Windows has unexpectedly closed. This never happened to me until I installed Tiger
  • Reply 5 of 15
    huh. I had no probelms with tiger. Search w/ spotlight for them. See if that helps
  • Reply 6 of 15
    I don't know what files i'm looking for
  • Reply 7 of 15
    teh Window Media Pref files i have in ~/library/preferences are exactly titles (w/o quotes) "Windows Media Favorites" and "Windows Media Player Prefs"
  • Reply 8 of 15
    still not working...i'm gonna delete it...and try downloading it again. I wish all files could play through itunes...or real player
  • Reply 9 of 15
    play them with VLC or Mplayer

Use versiontracker.com to find them
  • Reply 10 of 15
    well i've got vlc...and i've tried opening the file but nothing happened.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    muchisgivenmuchisgiven Posts: 120member
    Is there any other program than windows media that can be used to play WMA formats?
  • Reply 12 of 15
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Not that I know of, especially if they're protected files (i.e. purchased from an online music store or from a protected CD).
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

Without knowing anything about your files, there is nothing we do to help you, buddy.

well.. thats not entirely true... theres is a certain extent that we can help ya w/... but knowing the files would also help... but have you tried rebooting the computer? sometimes rebooting helps.. sometimes not a great deal.. but it does sometimes....
  • Reply 14 of 15
    muchisgivenmuchisgiven Posts: 120member
    Well it's wierd...because it will work sometimes, and then other times it won't work. Like right now it's working perfectly. I delted the old one and downloaded a new one. But this is the third time that I've had to do this. So I'm sure that if I close it...and try to use it later I'll get the same message.

I was thinking about reinstalling Tiger...because I've also noticed that I'm seeing the pinwheel quite often, and the computer would freeze for a couple of seconds and then work perfectly.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    cant help ya with tiger, sorry\ dont have tiger yet b/c of the posts ive been reading about other people having problems and my brother also having problems (most he fixed) w/ tiger.. so im holding off til i know tiger is running good again....