iWork2 ?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
When is the most likely time for iWork to get an update?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Addison

When is the most likely time for iWork to get an update?

January. The name is iWork '05 - not iWork 1 - implying that they follow the same scheme as iLife.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    Thanks.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    You know what I'd really like to see in the iWorks 2 program? Document Management. Man if there was ever a need for DM in today on the Mac it is now. People are still archiving files in hanging file folders because computers have largely been ineffective with dealing with documents that are received in hardcopy form. Thus iWork 2 would tickle my fancy if it contained.

Word Processing

Beefed up with better access to frequently used tools or at least a highly modifiable UI.

Keynote

More improvements. I don't have any suggestions.

Spreadsheet

I'd like something akin to Lotus Improv/Quantrix modeler with flexibility. It doesn't have to be as full featured of course.

Database

Again basic. No need for Filemaker Pro but something functional and easy for the basic user.

Doc Management module

Built in drivers for the popular scanners. Scan to PDF, OCR on scanning and. Stores documents in iWorks DB. Scanned images instantly get added to iPhoto if you choose. Spotlight, Automator and Dashboard support. Links to Address Book and iCal.

There's no need for Apple to trudge along the same boring path that everyone else is. Since Apple controls the whole widget lets start seeing some "out the box" thinking and acting regarding how to get consumers using their computers for more than just glorified Internet Access boxes and gaming machines
  • Reply 4 of 5
    trobertstroberts Posts: 702member
    I am hoping the database will not be a flat file database like AppleWorks has, but a relational database like MS Access; however, I am not looking for it to match Access, feature for feature. I am sure Apple is thinking outside the box with the spreadsheet and database applications that will be part of iWork.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Doc Management module

Built in drivers for the popular scanners. Scan to PDF, OCR on scanning and. Stores documents in iWorks DB. Scanned images instantly get added to iPhoto if you choose. Spotlight, Automator and Dashboard support. Links to Address Book and iCal.

Wouldn't a simple OCR front end hook in Image Capture make a lot more sense? Extract the raw text and embed it (say in a TIFF), let Spotlight handle the searching. Boom. Done. I can't imagine why you'd want to have it import to a DB...