Is .Mac Worth a flip?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Man..... I need a small site for my buisness, "I make DvDs for people from their dv or video tapes weddings etc." and a small site to keep freinds and Industry people updated on my musical projects and upcoming cd with a blog etc.

I am no HTML programer! I have read about .Mac but all the sites i have looked up to see what people have made using the service look great but almost always nothing works "video clips wont stream etc. or the site itself is down with a complaint of the front page written by the admin.

is .mac worth a flip? 99 bucks might not be so bad for some people but for me being unemployed and having spent money already for advertising my buisness its alot right now so i was wondering if anybody could tell me if it would be worth it for me to get signed up to .mac.

thanks...................

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    For me, the primary advantage of .mac is multi-machine syncing. I also use the idisk and email features. I use Backup too, so I feel like I get my money's worth.

As a programmer, I really need true web hosting, so the .mac hosting only works for basic stuff. I don't use any of the template or auto-publishing features, although once I get real hosting I might migrate my .mac site to the automated variety.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    ijerryijerry Posts: 615member
    .Mac is not going to be what you want. You will have a forever long URL, and 99 bucks is steep, then if you use more space, you will have to fork over more cash. It has semi-nice templates for picture galleries, or putting a movie easily, but to host a site, eh...You will still have to write in HTML. So your problem will still be there with the coding aspect. I have found in the past hosting companies that charge as little as 8 bucks a month, it is more than the 99 bucks a year, but you have to pay for that up front, whereas with the hosting it is per month, kinda nice. Plus, when I was on .Mac, their servers seemed to go down more often than I wanted. Pretty sad actually. I would look to other options, unless the extras is something that baits you.

Hope this helps.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    If you just need a basic, bare bones place to put a website, you can find cheaper.

However, if you're not used to making sites, .Mac can be very helpful. Their web interface is pretty simple, and you can always add your own custom sites later if you learn more.

Unfortunately, it looks like their offer for the boxed .Mac at $69 just ended, so you can't take advantage of that. Still, I've been using .Mac since it was free (iTools), and it's more than paid for itself in free software, web hosting and general file backups.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    If you can find a place to host your site for cheap, then you might want to consider purchasing RapidWeaver, which lets you put together nice websites using templates.

It costs only $34.95 and is updated regularly, even with new features. You can try out the software for free.

www.realmacsoftware.com/rapidweaver
  • Reply 5 of 6
    danmacmandanmacman Posts: 773member
    For me it was a waste of $100. Especially since Gmail came out soon after I bought it.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    tekmatetekmate Posts: 134member
    I think a jump drive is much better for keeping things synched myself but I use mine to sync between Mac, Linux, and Windows which is nice and you can get free email at gmail. If you need a place to host look at doteasy.com you just pay to buy the domain but that's it $25 dollars. You will still need to build it but programs like NVU can help make it a little easier.