Finder sucks

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
THE FINDER SUCKS!

Well...not entirely, but there's room for improvement!

- no icon spacing settings

- I cannot CUT and PASTE to move files. I love how Explorer does this.

- The left column with the folders....the frame that devides this column

from the content frame doesn't remember its size when closing/opening a window. It should resize so that the folder names can be read.

- I want a seperate thumbnail view! I prefer small icons but large thumbnails.

Currently I would have to change the view setting each time.

- It takes up too much space. A finder Windows looks like a clumsy metal box. When I press the right-top "simplify button", the finder turns into something much convienent. Why isn't the "normal" version of the finder not like this, but with the left column and icons added?

- I'd like to be able to split the Finder in two columns: source and destination (just like an FTP program often does). This way I can easily move files from A to B.

I think it's weird that Apple does so little about an application that is so much used!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dacloo

- I cannot CUT and PASTE to move files. I love how Explorer does this.

In all likelihood, you are not prepared for the debate that Mac users have about this one.

[Problem: cut is destcructive. Very bad in particular when you're dealing with files.

Solution A: don't have a cut command for files.

Solution B: have a cut command that behaves differently and interacts with the clipboard differently than the cut command found everywhere else.

Apple chose A. Discuss amongst yourselves the appropriateness of this choice.

Quote:

When I press the right-top "simplify button", the finder turns into something much convienent. Why isn't the "normal" version of the finder not like this, but with the left column and icons added?

Oh, boy, ye know not what ye hath started! BTW, that's a supposed to be a toolbar show/hide widget, not a "simplify" widget. The Finder is exceptional in that way too.

Anyway, to make a long story short, what you see in that simplified view is known conventionally as the "classic" Finder, the way the Finder worked in OS 9. Problem with it: it spawns a lot of window clutter because you have niether a toolbar nor the source view on the left. Basically, they modified the OS X Finder to look and act more like iTunes, iPhoto, etc., reduce window clutter, introduced the hierarchical column view, etc. Problem is that it has so many exceptional behaviors.

Quote:

I think it's weird that Apple does so little about an application that is so much used!

There are theories and conspiracies on this front too. A lot of people think that Apple's development of specific media apps like iTunes and iPhoto, along with the emphasis on Spotlight in Tiger points to Apple'sintention to either seriously revise the Finder from top to bottom, or it suggests that the Finder is going to be made obsolete and eventually go away. I doubt the second point is completely true, perhaps the Finder as we know it will disappear as we know it, but I can't imagine that the OS will lose its catch-all file browser. Clearly though, the Finder is being subjugated in Tiger even more than it was in the transition from OS 9 to OS X.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Copy/Paste on files is very dangerous.

Files must be duplicated upon selecting the copy command. If this isn't done, you might paste something different from what you copied. That is, if the file was modified between the copy and paste.

Copy/Paste works fine for text, or anything small, for that matter. It's large files which are problematic. Duplication takes forever but must be done to ensure that what's pasted is the same as what was copied.

But yes... the finder does suck, but for other reasons.

Try sorting by modification date when in list view and then using the arrow keys to move up and down to highlight different files. The window contents will start rearranging themselves and the highlighted line will jump all over the place. Apparently apple thinks it's fine to display incorrect info on files until you hightlight the file.

And that's just one reason why the finder sucks.

But CCP on files is dangerous and shouldn't be included in the finder... ever!
  • Reply 3 of 17
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    LOL Okay, I didn't know I opened a door towards hell :-) Thanks for yer reply.

I agree with you that CUT/PASTE may sound weird, but I always found it very naturally, even when I used it for the first time. But don't we all agree drag dropping can be a pain in the ass sometimes?

When you drag something as a user, you are constantly aware of dangerous situations: I could accidentely lose control of my left mouse button and then the files are dropped! I could accidentely drop them in a wrong place. The whole drag drop process can be wonderful, but also a pain in the behind.

So, there really should be an option in the right-click menu.

E.g: When I have a selection, and then press the right mouse button, a choice "start moving 9 files and 2 folders" should be there. When I click it, nothing happens. When I right-click again it should say: "perform move action". Same counts for COPY.

I hope Apple will work on the Finder. I am a programmer (mainly Windows) and I know applications still work with files and folders internally. It would be nearly impossible for a programmer to develop something without being able to structure his/her files and folders.

I agree that for an end-user, oriented at multimedia, the Finder could be more easily replaced with Spotlight kind of index technologies.

------------------------------

@ Dfiler: I never had any problems or dangerous situations in 10 years of Windows use. Never ever, really. I think a lot of potential dangerous situations can be avoided if the copy/paste process is programmed well.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Granted many users will never encounter a problem. But that doesn't mean that the danger isn't very real.

Let me guess, you don't have anyone else accessing your drives and don't have multiple programs working with the same files concurrently. This would make CCP not so dangerous for you.

The solution that would work for everyone is to come up with a more accurate name for the functionality. Cut, copy, and paste already have clear meanings to users. Reusing these terms for functionality which behaves differently is a really bad idea. A simple name change to something accurate and descriptive would solve everything. The files are actually be marked for copying later. They aren't actually copied when selecting the copy command. Hence the functionality shouldn't be called 'Copy'.

What happens when someone 'Copies' a file, deletes it, and then tries to paste it? This works fine for text since the the text is actually 'copied' when the 'copy' command is invoked. However, with files, the file wasn't 'copied' so the data is permanently lost.

Obviously, everyone here is computer savy enough to avoid this problem. The masses are not.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    Quote:

What happens when someone 'Copies' a file, deletes it, and then tries to paste it? This works fine for text since the the text is actually 'copied' when the 'copy' command is invoked. However, with files, the file wasn't 'copied' so the data is permanently lost.

I understand your concern, and it really should be an important thing on Apple's agenda if they want to implement such a thing :-)

I understand that copying text (in memory) and copying files (which only really copies when you 'paste') is inconsistent.

What I don't understand is that you just gave an example of something that MacOS does already: you can right-click to copy and paste a file! So cut-paste is just an alternative to something that already is implemented!

Despite we disagree, it doesn't mean the Finder currently lacks something very useful!
  • Reply 6 of 17
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    If you want cut/paste, install On My Command and OMC Edit (search on macupdate.com), to install cut/paste for the contextual menu (unfortunately no hot keys for this). The functionality is damn useful, I don't care what anyone else says. There is no excuse for Apple not to implement a very useful feature (call it something else if you want, "prepare for move" and "move" or whatever).
  • Reply 7 of 17
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Actually, I think that's the answer exactly. Have actual "move" and "copy" commands -- you know, commands that actually address what you're trying to do.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    thttht Posts: 5,443member
    I'll chime in and say I wish there was a NEXTSTEP style shelf. Right now, the Finder is very much a neglected application. They've put a lot more work into iTunes, iPhoto, et al, applications than the Finder.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Path Finder is also very nice, albeit intimidating.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    philscbxphilscbx Posts: 22member
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by dacloo

[B]LOL Okay, I didn't know I opened a door towards hell :-) Thanks for yer reply.

I agree with you that CUT/PASTE may sound weird, but I always found it very naturally, even when I used it for the first time. But don't we all agree drag dropping can be a pain in the ass sometimes?

When you drag something as a user, you are constantly aware of dangerous situations: I could accidentely lose control of my left mouse button and then the files are dropped! I could accidentely drop them in a wrong place. The whole drag drop process can be wonderful, but also a pain in the behind.

__________________________________________________ _______

Here is where cut / paste should only be used:

While on a page of a document where you want to move a line of type to a different spot - or an image too.

No cut paste should be done while doing folders unless copy paste is performed first - then go back and delete original.

Now You have recourse if You dropped it and need a second chance.

Dragging - now this is dangerous moving files or documents within a group of files - Like You said - it could fall off into any of them at will and now search the file for where you wanted the item - and discover the item is not there.

I find this happening just dragging My fav's around within My FAV'S Files to different titled folders and have it fall off into unknown territory - doing this with a laptop's touch pad is not 100% precise.

• Reply 12 of 17
    When will Apple make a new version of Finder that is as good as Windows Explorer?

I use Windows Explorer 20 times a day on average. It's essential, it's fast to use, it has a lot of useful features for searching files, moving files, copying, deleting etc.

I tried to switch to Mac last month and loved everythng apart from Finder. It slowed down my productivity so much that I switched back to PC. I HATE finder.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ipadfan View Post

When

SIX. YEAR. OLD. THREAD.

Quote:

will Apple make a new version of Finder that is as good as Windows Explorer?

Already is. And more so.

Quote:

I use Windows Explorer 20 times a day on average. It's essential, it's fast to use, it has a lot of useful features for searching files, moving files, copying, deleting etc.

That the Finder has. Either cite specific examples or don't bother with this.

Quote:

I tried to switch to Mac last month and loved everythng apart from Finder. It slowed down my productivity so much that I switched back to PC. I HATE finder.

Again... tell us what you erroneously believe you can't do in the Finder and we'll show you otherwise.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ipadfan View Post

When will Apple make a new version of Finder that is as good as Windows Explorer?

That's interesting I cannot recall anyone singing the praises of Windows file organization.

Quote:

I think this more comes down to learning the differences between the two.

You prefer clicking the start button and scrolling to "programs?"
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Holy cow, this is an old thread. Back then when I started it I was talking about, what, OSX 10.4?

I really like the Finder as it is now. It's certainly not perfect, but looking at what Windows has done with Explorer, it really hasn't become any better, just more cluttered. There's a lack of vision there.

Some things I still don't like are:

- when in tree-folder-view, it's not entirely clear where you are dropping your folder in.

You have to pay attention. Personally I would like apple to show a border or something

around the folder you are hovering above, even when you are hovering on it's folder content.

- no cut/paste. And please shut up about the metaphor. It's darn handy.

Call it move/drop for all I care.

- it's still not very speedy.

Anyway I do like the Finder as it is enough to prefer it over Explorer.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    hummmm.... Finder does need a makeover. i'd like to see apple make navigation through the system file architecture more intuitive. it would be nice if we could use gestures to birds eye view the system as a whole.

just give me something tactile.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pkemp85 View Post

...birds eye...

"It's a UNIX system... I know this!"

Unix system? Looks more like a eunuch's system.