Photoshop help needed

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I have a black and white image(a mask for an icon) that I want to create a subtle drop shadow for. Does anyone know how to do this in Photoshop 5.0 LE? I can't imagine it's too hard.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    usually you would do this by selecting your image (if its a negative image, invert the selection) add a layer below, feather the selection the desired number of pixels (you may have to experiment a bit to get it right). you can then either fill your new selection in your new layer with a percentage of black or 100% black, and then tone it down by regulating the transperancy of the layer.

This is all under the assumption that 5 LE has the feather, transperancy and other needed functions. blur can also be used if you lack the feather function.

[ 11-27-2001: Message edited by: New ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 4
    [quote]Originally posted by graphiteman:

<strong>I have a black and white image(a mask for an icon) that I want to create a subtle drop shadow for. Does anyone know how to do this in Photoshop 5.0 LE? I can't imagine it's too hard.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Dont know about LE, but in normal photoshop you go to... damn I cant remember what its called, but you get to it by rightclicking (control clicking) on the layer. There you can do bevel, emboss, drop shadow, fills, etc. etc.

If that doesnt work make the doccument slightly larger, select that which you want to shadow, make another layer and fill your selection with grey then make it 20% transparent and displace it.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    cooopcooop Posts: 390member
    No, Photoshop 5.0 LE doesn't have layer styles. What would be a simple process in 5.0/5.5/6.0 is made inherently more complex in a 'limited edition.'

I recommend doing something similar to what New suggested: duplicate the image layer (inverting as necessary) and place it below the original image layer; fill it with black and adjust transparency before offsetting to the side to determine the angle of the 'shadow.' Group the original and new layers and you're all set.

[ 11-27-2001: Message edited by: cooop ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Thanks guys! Worked like a charm.