if apple does go intel...

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
If apple does decide to go to intel, would that mean i could any one of the following:

1) run Windoes on my Mac Powerbook (for school stuff and when VPC won;t even come close to cutting it)

2) Run OS X on my PC or anything else like that

3) dual boot anyting with windows, linux and OS X at the same time.

What do you guys think? As much as i don;t like it, i can see apple stopping people from running OS X on other PCs but would they stop windows on Apple Hardware?

Let me know

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    Apple should GO after that 97% of the market
  • Reply 2 of 5
    jwink3101jwink3101 Posts: 739member
    While i appreciate your reply, i would rather not turn this into a should or shouldn;t debate. I would like to hear about the new compatibilty
  • Reply 3 of 5
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    Look its no secret Apple has had OSX running on Pcs its just a matter of doing it,Apple has had many transitions through the years and going after 97% of the market to me sounds like sound business philosophy, with 3% market they still have millions in the bank why not get back some marketshare you lost years ago? Emulators, new code big deal Apple has done it many times.Remember the switch to powerpc? I do.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    karl kuehnkarl kuehn Posts: 756member
    1) No. Even in the unlikely event that Apple were to use an Intel X-86 (or IA-64) processor the motherboard and supporting chips would likely be of Apple design. Apple is highly unlikely to be satisfied with the horrible situations on the x86 platform.

2) No. Same reason as 1, just the mirror image.

3) No...
  • Reply 5 of 5
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    This thread belongs in Future Hardware, but there are already a bazillion threads there on Apple/Intel. So I am not going to move it.

Instead, I am going to do my first-ever thread lock. Please feel free to continue the discussion in one of the existing threads in Future Hardware.

The only reason I am using the lock is that the thread does not belong here and there is no place to move it to.