Intel Pandora next Mac Mini? (Mac Mini Update Thread)

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Why hasn't the Mac Mini been updated?

Why does Apple finally make a product that can sell and hamper it by not advertising it and not updating it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 91
    abilsteinabilstein Posts: 61member
    Quote:

Originally posted by steve666

Why hasn't the Mac Mini been updated?

Why does Apple finally make a product that can sell and hamper it by not advertising it and not updating it?

Because it's been less than 6 months. Because they risk canibalizing other sales. Because it's selling well.

That said, if they would bump up the video memory, CPU, and put a faster hard drive in it, I'd buy today (and pay substantially more than $500). Until then, pass.
  • Reply 2 of 91
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    No doubt, the freaking thing is brand new. Lets release it, and update it the next day. What are you thinking? Shouldn't it get old before it gets new again? Or do we just start bumping products every week?
  • Reply 3 of 91
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    When it does get bumped, I hope it's a complete bump like the iMac G5 was just bumped. I'm talking 1.7GHz G4, Radeon 9600 with 128MB RAM (the old one had 64MB right?), Gb ethernet (semi useful for a consumer network, very useful for business), maybe pretty please Firewire 800?
  • Reply 4 of 91
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    The Graphics card cant handle Tiger so it should be updated. Pc makers dont have a set time for a product to be updated, when it needs it its done.

The emac was updated to handle Tiger and the Mac Mini should have been also.
  • Reply 5 of 91
    Quote:

The Graphics card cant handle Tiger so it should be updated. Pc makers dont have a set time for a product to be updated, when it needs it its done.

The emac was updated to handle Tiger and the Mac Mini should have been also.

But not so fast. It's too new. The eMac had not been upodated in a year.
  • Reply 6 of 91
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

But not so fast. It's too new. The eMac had not been upodated in a year.

why would anyone buy it now if it is already outdated? Do you see what I mean?

Would you buy it?

I sure as shit won't

Improve it and I'm there. I don't care if it came out last month, it can't handle the newest OS and that is unacceptable.
  • Reply 7 of 91
    Quote:

Would you buy it?

I sure as shit won't

Improve it and I'm there. I don't care if it came out last month, it can't handle the newest OS and that is unacceptable.

Oddly enough it's like the best selling computer in England, and they still sell like crazy here so I'm going to disagree with you on that.
  • Reply 8 of 91
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    Is the mini still selling like hot cakes or have sales cooled quite a bit? I've heard both mentioned.

My wild guess is that the mini will not be updated until the iBook is updated.
  • Reply 9 of 91
    cj171cj171 Posts: 144member
    it is possible though that the mini is a one-time only unit, just to test the waters of the low-end market...a new low end machine might be significantly different and maybe not even be mini...all depends on what teh jobsy is thinkin
  • Reply 10 of 91
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    My Guess for the next update (whenever it comes, I'm guessing no later than paris in september)

$499

1.42 Ghz G4

80Gb HD

512 Mb RAM

64 Mb 9600

combo drive

$599

1.67 Ghz G4

100Gb HD

512 Mb RAM

64Mb 9600

Superdrive

Things I'd like to see that I think we probably won't

1.) 2 RAM slots

2.) easier to open case
  • Reply 11 of 91
    gamblorgamblor Posts: 446member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hudson1

Is the mini still selling like hot cakes or have sales cooled quite a bit? I've heard both mentioned.

My wild guess is that the mini will not be updated until the iBook is updated.

On the "top sellers" list at store.apple.com, the mini has dropped to the second from the bottom (click on the "top sellers" link-- it's not on the front page). At amazon, it's 4th place behind three iMac models. Interesting, that-- One would think that a lower priced model would sell better... Kind of suggests that the idea of the market "sweet spot" isn't set in concrete.

IIRC, the mini was at the top of both lists when introduced.
  • Reply 12 of 91
    eekles77eekles77 Posts: 58member
    Quote:

Would you buy it?

I sure as shit won't

True, we might not buy it. But most people don't know about the cycles of the apple computers and would I have no idea that an update is coming. They would just buy now and not really think about waiting for another update.
  • Reply 13 of 91
    it needs to be updated whether its new or not. out of the box its junk.
  • Reply 14 of 91
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alliancep.s.i

it needs to be updated whether its new or not. out of the box its junk.

Yeah! Whoo! Tell it like it is man!

You fuckwit.
  • Reply 15 of 91
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:

The Graphics card cant handle Tiger so it should be updated. . .

It's mainly that the graphics card does not take advantage of a few performance improvements in Tiger. I agree that Apple should be looking for a low cost replacement that can do core services. It doesn't have to be high performance graphics, however. This is the bottom of the line after all.
  • Reply 16 of 91
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gamblor

. . . At amazon, it's 4th place behind three iMac models. Interesting, that-- One would think that a lower priced model would sell better... Kind of suggests that the idea of the market "sweet spot" isn't set in concrete.

Price wise, I believe this is the market sweet spot, but Apple made this Mac very tiny, a novelty that PC makers will find difficult to copy quickly. It's attention getting, and it will sell because of that. I hope that Apple has plans for a practical low-cost Mac too.

Business may not be too keen on the mini for office computers. Also, folks like me need something just a little bigger and better. I need 2GB of RAM and faster, full-sized hard drives. That's it. What I am doing now is bidding on newer G4 PowerMacs. I'd rather have something new from Apple that is a whole lot smaller than a Power Mac. EDIT: (I am already using a good LCD monitor for this application, otherwise I might have considered an iMac.)

While the above Power Mac is my next purchase, I will eventually replace the beige G3 in my home office. A Mac mini will be okay for that.
  • Reply 17 of 91
    Quote:

Originally posted by Flounder

My Guess for the next update (whenever it comes, I'm guessing no later than paris in september)

$499

1.42 Ghz G4

80Gb HD

512 Mb RAM

64 Mb 9600

combo drive

And that would get me to buy one
  • Reply 18 of 91
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gamblor

On the "top sellers" list at store.apple.com, the mini has dropped to the second from the bottom (click on the "top sellers" link-- it's not on the front page). At amazon, it's 4th place behind three iMac models. Interesting, that-- One would think that a lower priced model would sell better... Kind of suggests that the idea of the market "sweet spot" isn't set in concrete.

IIRC, the mini was at the top of both lists when introduced.

I think it had more to do with what the Mini lacked-enough RAM especially for one.
  • Reply 19 of 91
    The mini is a perfectly fine machine as it is. I run Tiger on an iBook w/ 1.2GHz and the same 32mb card as in the Mini. The ONLY thing I notice about the GPU not being core-video compatible, is I don't get the ripple affect with dashboard. Thats it. end of story. If you are going to really take advantage of core video, then you would be unding proffesion products. Proffesionals don't buy $500 budget computers. For the average Joe who checks email, surfs the web, uses iLife, and MS Office, it is a great machine. The $500 model is faster than my iBook, and mine runs great. The 256 RAM standard is the only thing holding it back. I saw a rumor a while ago on macosrumors.com, that Apple was going to ditch the "mystery connector", and that would make room for 256 of built-in RAM, like on the iBooks. This would make upgrading a lot cheaper, and allow you to have up to 1.25gb RAM. The 64mb VRAM would be nice for games, but most people aren;t going to use core video on a $500 Mac.

Also, it is still farelly new. you can;t just release a product and then update it 3 months later. You know how pissed off people would be? Apple can't go making all their customers who just bougth a 3 month old computer mad.

I believe it will be updated around WWDC, but will not be in the keynote. i agree with the specsFlounder posted.
  • Reply 20 of 91
    welp, I ain't buying one until its updated.