DVD-Audio playback on Mac?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Is it possible to play/listen to a DVD-Audio disc with my Powerbook (with DVD Player or iTunes)?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    No. Blame DRM.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    o4blackwrxo4blackwrx Posts: 383member
    You could rip the audio off the DVD using this then converting the AC3 sound files to MP3 using this and then playing the MP3's in iTunes. You could then put them on your iPod if you really wanted to as well.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Originally posted by O4BlackWRX

You could rip the audio off the DVD using this then converting the AC3 sound files to MP3 using this and then playing the MP3's in iTunes. You could then put them on your iPod if you really wanted to as well.

either you or the original poster mis-understands the term "DVD-Audio". I suspect it is you. Presumably, the original poster was talking about DVDs that have high-resolution audio (24 bit/96 - 192 Khz sample rate) losslessly compressed with Meridian Lossless Packing. As far as I know, there is no way to play these disks on a Mac. I don't think you can play them on a PC, either. If anyone knows any different, please correct me.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    thereubsterthereubster Posts: 402member
    Yes you can play them on a PC with Win XP if you have a Creative Audigy sound card , they support DVD-Audio playback (but you will only get 24/48 not 24/96 thru the digital outputs). I'm pretty sure there is a DVD-Audio player for OSX... actually after research it appears not, weird.