Portable OS X

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Now that we know Apple has OS X running on Intel, it's time to note this is the real innovation.

Intel is just today's trick pony.

As soon as a better processor is on the horizon, OS X can be ported to that.

Apple has just increased their lifespan ad infinitum.

I want the best of breed processor, and I could care less who produces it.

I also think this has much more to do with staying competitive with Linux, not Windows.

Not just competitive, but also attractive to Linux developers.

There in lies the real strategy.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    And don't forget, if IBM suddenly releases the G6 dual-core 4gHz at low power for $25 each, OS X will still run on it.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

And don't forget, if IBM suddenly releases the G6 dual-core 4gHz at low power for $25 each, OS X will still run on it.

Yah... ok... but this kind of 'switch so soon'. It's chopping it's feet off and saying, "thats ok... we don't need feet, we still dream of flight."

Apple won't even make it to the switch... it's all a ruse to sell the dumb investors. Watch the stock drop like a stone after cataclysmic christmas sales.

It was a ride... and a good one.

Steve fooled no one who 'really' wathed the keynote.

A post

Keynotes... the devils playground.

Everyone, myself included, is wondering about Apple. As I stated earlier (a delerius rant due to shock), this could be the end. (insert 'Doors' song)

Well, one thing is for sure... this is the end of Steve. I highly doubt Jobs is going to be around for this next major debacle. Infact, I bet Apple agreed to pay him a huge chunk o' change to hang for the next 2 years, to try and use his charisma to keep as many of us loyal fans as possible.

Steve's ego was mentioned earlier in this thread, and I think there could be some merrit to it. I think he's putting on a smile right now, because of the big reward for doing so. He loves the mac frenzy from releasing new cool products, he loves the people who worship him. He loves preaching from the podium. It's a rush.

Look how mad he gets when stuff is leaked... like when ATI mentioned some new cards. Yikes!!! He tried to drop ATI.

Well, thats all coming to an end. Because it's going to be hard to keep Intel compatible products secret.

And I don't believe he's going to get too excited showing us the new toaster that can also do your laundry and play music.

His revolution is over, and so is Apple's.

They brought him back becasue he had ground breaking ideas, the iMac. The passion. The millenium was around the corner, and every manufacturer was doing exceptionally well. He was the right guy at the right time.

He can go on about the OS all he wants, but his heart was in revealing new hardware, "look how beautiful it is..."

Sorry folks, I didn't see any passion in this Keynote that was sincere.

The old adage, "if you can't beat them, join them." is not going to play well for Apple.

? Sonos has a far far far more cool and advanced home music device.

? Apple is not going to beat out Tivo or Toshiba or Panasonic, Sony, and LG for small Video devices.

? It can't compete with Palm for small hand helds, and other hand held computers.

? The tablet went to Viewsonic and turns out nobody wants one.

? Phones are Motorolla teritory.

? Servers... well... i'm not a pro on the topic, but I don't think that's going to go far.

I think that unless Apple comes out with those Virtual Reality sunglasses that I saw on 'The Apple Colleciton.com', they just nicely told us that the end is near.

OS X rocks. This widget business is cool... but it's been 2 weeks, and i'm tired of it already. Novelty software. And Tiger is whatever. I notice no difference, except some of my apps don't work properly anymore... Oh... and Apple forcing Roxio to disable it's software (Toast), another screwed developer.

It won't be long before there are OS X emulators like Cherry OS, and then what does Apple have?

I don't see people getting too excited about shapes and sizes and color too much anymore.

I hope i'm wrong, I hope the future is bright, but it looks dim now.

Apple screwed all the resellers, and started building Apple stores. For more solid capitol investment? Easier to sell a chain of stores that can easily be converted to Sony Store, or Alienware, then selling technology that depreciates.

I see Apple being in competition with RadioShack, moreso then Microsoft.

Can a chip make all this difference? Well... if it's a potato chip... I guess.

Consensus seems to be we had a good thing with the PPC, and up until yesterday, I was excited about the future of my G5...

Will Apple have yet another class action law suit so that it doesn't drop support like it did with the G3's.

This port and emulation business sounds like crap. I went through it with OS9, and while Apple supported it... Adobe and others didn't. (can't work without fonts).

Do you think Steve is going to wander out and say, "This is going to suck crap, so bend over and get ready again?"

Please oh please, won't someone bring back Commodore.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    zab the fabzab the fab Posts: 303member
    "Let the rain come down" as they say....

If Apple orders a new processor from Intel, how's that gonna tell Intel what product it's for?

If Apple orders a new processor from Intel, how's that gonna tell Intel what the box will look like?

If Apple orders a new processor from Intel, how's that gonna tell Intel what Apple is working on?

It's interesting to hear your opinions of Steve and how you imagine he feels on stage and about the Mac fans in general. The leap to conclusion, which is a goodbye to Steve, must be an attempt to best Steves RDF?

Steve is not going anywhere. He has made the smartest choice, a business choice! WE are the ones who have our emotions invested in PowerPC, CLEARLY not Steve.

And is this emotional hangover what comes through in your post?

Cheer up my friend. In the future those who have THEIR emotions invested in PC's can't attack you for "using a slow MHz" in their usual ignorant way. This moves the debate to the OS itself.... and how do you feel Tiger stands compared to XP? Even more important, how do you imagine Leopard to head up against Longhorn (IF it's not further delayed) ?

All indications tells us that you can put away your umbrellar...and put on your shades...THE FUTURE IS LOOKING BRIGHT !

Sincerely

Zab The Fab
  • Reply 4 of 6
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    I so hope you are right.

I fear Microsoft like I fear being thrown into a gulag.

GULAG... hopefully not the DRM OS X version after Leopard.

I can see it now... the new Widget... DRM Widget... "things you might be doing if Apple had once had balls...".

"If Apple orders a new processor from Intel, how's that gonna tell Intel what product it's for?"

...Well, we will instantly know the hotest thing to come out of Intel... they are not going to change their 90% market share marketing strategy and pivitol business plan to apease Steve Jobs and his 2% interest.

"If Apple orders a new processor from Intel, how's that gonna tell Intel what the box will look like?"

... Who cares what the box looks like...? Really? Oooooh... it's small and round and a greenish color... I must have it..."

The Hippy floral iMac failed... women want power just as much as men. Box design only takes you so far.

"If Apple orders a new processor from Intel, how's that gonna tell Intel what Apple is working on?"

... What? are you new or something? Thats a silly statement. Apple can't design anything without knowing the parts to go into it.

Which leads to the most important thing... How is apple to be innovative when it shares the exact same core as everything else? When everyone else has the exact same technology?

It's comes down to a hodge podge. And Apple doesn't have the strength to survive that.

Look man, i'm the guy who has supported Apple for well over half my life... and thats 20 years of support... since the start.

I was the guy who tried to calm people down during the last panic which was Adobe supporting Windows.

This time it is different.

They are admiting defeat with the PPC, The Switch campaign, The Road-Map.

And they are going to screw us again.

This sounds exactly like last time... and Steve knows it.

And the last super duper... "it just works", keynote... turned out to drop them from 6.5% down to 1.8%.

Not to mention it cost all us loyal users tones of $$$ to get on board.

Now we are being asked to bend over again and take it up the zing zang, like Steve, except we are not getting paid Millions to do so.

It's not a smart choice... and it's not Steve who makes the decisions. It's a public company with shareholders who run it. And if they can find a way to make a buck and sell it... they won't even bat an eye.

I think that either way, we are heading to bio-tech computing, and that will change everything anyways. And then they will bring back Commodore.

;-)

Ahhh crap... now I know that my family, who I almost had convert to mac... will run screaming into the vortex of M$.

Damn... defeat sucks.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by rain

I so hope you are right.

I fear Microsoft like I fear being thrown into a gulag.

GULAG... hopefully not the DRM OS X version after Leopard.

I can see it now... the new Widget... DRM Widget... "things you might be doing if Apple had once had balls...".

"If Apple orders a new processor from Intel, how's that gonna tell Intel what product it's for?"

...Well, we will instantly know the hotest thing to come out of Intel... they are not going to change their 90% market share marketing strategy and pivitol business plan to apease Steve Jobs and his 2% interest.

You mean the hottest processor? Yes, I think also it will be no secret how fast the next processor will be from Intel, it's not now anyway.

Quote:

"If Apple orders a new processor from Intel, how's that gonna tell Intel what the box will look like?"

... Who cares what the box looks like...? Really? Oooooh... it's small and round and a greenish color... I must have it..."

The Hippy floral iMac failed... women want power just as much as men. Box design only takes you so far.

Ok, so you might not care. That's fair enough. But I hope your not claiming that "nobody" cares? Do you read rumorsites...like the one we are on right now? How many fake pictures have you seen in the last year? Do Apple win awards for design all the time? Hence is the "look" important or not to the press, users...all of us? (I still think it's fair if you don't find it interesting, myself I can't wait to see Apple's next designs)

Quote:

"If Apple orders a new processor from Intel, how's that gonna tell Intel what Apple is working on?"

... What? are you new or something? Thats a silly statement. Apple can't design anything without knowing the parts to go into it.

Which leads to the most important thing... How is apple to be innovative when it shares the exact same core as everything else? When everyone else has the exact same technology?

I would suggest that you read up on how Apple insures their secrecy. Not even the Apple technicians who work on the machines see the design. They LITERALLY work with shoe-boxes filled with hardware and have no idea how the next iMac will look like. They sit in the audience and watch with the rest of us, no kidding! I even talked to an employee at Apple who confirmed this to me personally.

I don't think it would imply that "I'm new" if I'm aware of Apples "go through metal detectors, being watched by motion-cameras 24/7, programers write to remote servers and have no local copy of their work" meassures to insure secrecy. The Apple campus rivals the Pentagon when it comes to "security levels" I kid you not!

I'm sure if your not new you are every much aware of this as I am.

Quote:

It's comes down to a hodge podge. And Apple doesn't have the strength to survive that.

Look man, i'm the guy who has supported Apple for well over half my life... and thats 20 years of support... since the start.

I was the guy who tried to calm people down during the last panic which was Adobe supporting Windows.

Well I'm happy to return the favor this time around. The only thing you should be sad about is the loss of the "crusifix" in our "church". This evens the playing field. No more who's fastests, who's not talk. And don't forget, Apple can still innovate far beyond the others as they make the hardware themselves. MOTO and IBM was not the ones who put Airport, USB or FireWire into the Macs, that was Apple!

Quote:

This time it is different.

They are admiting defeat with the PPC, The Switch campaign, The Road-Map.

And they are going to screw us again.

How can they be "admitting defeat" when they never produced the PPC ? They can be admitting defeat for IBM and MOTO, not for Apple. This is a win for Apple if INTEL's processors are going to become a lot more cooler than PPC in the future. Would you like to stay with PPC if this is true? Aren't you glad that Steve is a business man and not as religious as the rest of us?

Quote:

This sounds exactly like last time... and Steve knows it.

And the last super duper... "it just works", keynote... turned out to drop them from 6.5% down to 1.8%.

That might be true, but this time they are joining the world that the "big market" knows and understands, not departing from it. Apple has shown throughout it's history that it is willing to go whereever they believe is the fastests hardware. Sometimes they are right, sometimes they are wrong. Let's not forget that the NEXT computers had INTEL inside!!! Steve has no problem with this, his record shows it. Now it's time for us to give up our religion and rejoyce in the solution Steve has found for the Mac.

If things change in the future, Steve will take the Mac to whereever speed is to be found. OSX is PLATFORM independant, and that is what's really great for all of us, cause it means that whereever speed will be, the Mac will be. Clever clever clever!

Quote:

Not to mention it cost all us loyal users tones of $$$ to get on board.

Why? Universal binary code!

Quote:

Now we are being asked to bend over again and take it up the zing zang, like Steve, except we are not getting paid Millions to do so.

I think there's some good news you missed, watch the keynote again. you'll be happy you did.

Quote:

It's not a smart choice... and it's not Steve who makes the decisions. It's a public company with shareholders who run it. And if they can find a way to make a buck and sell it... they won't even bat an eye.

your right on the facts about shareholders, but wrong in your conclusions I believe. Steve is a dictator, short from invading other countries (wait...you don't need to be a dictator to do that anymore...).

Quote:

I think that either way, we are heading to bio-tech computing, and that will change everything anyways. And then they will bring back Commodore.

;-)

he he, the Chinese have a saying: "May you live in interesting times".

Quote:

Ahhh crap... now I know that my family, who I almost had convert to mac... will run screaming into the vortex of M$.

Damn... defeat sucks.

But my friend, this is where you miss the big point. You put in on it's head!

The big news is that now you don't really have to !!! You don't have to convince them that PPC is better just that the Mac OS is better, because now (or soon) the hardware is THE SAME!!!

This means WE are converting to INTEL, so that the PC users will have an easy time converting to the Mac OS

Your are being negative, where's the guy who dended the Mac for 20 years? You need to bring him back, we need him, you need him and we got a LOT of PC users to convert now!!!!

This takes away one of their (small brain) obstacles, and paves the way to the Mac like a bulldozer on steroids!!!

Sincerely

Zab The Fab
  • Reply 6 of 6
    as a footnote, read what MacMinute writes from the desk of Dvorak (never thought I'd be quoting him)

Dvorak sees Linux as loser in Apple/Intel deal

June 7 - 06:27 EDT In a column on MarketWatch today, John Dvorak has weighed in on his views of the Apple/Intel announcement yesterday. Overall he seems to feel that Apple will benefit from the move, but writes that Linux could be hurt by it, and in some ways benefit Microsoft. "I'm on the side of benefit as Apple can now champion its design and aesthetic strategies in the world of Intel and allow people who prefer the Windows OS to actually buy a Macintosh for its design and run Windows on it," says Dvorak. "It's quite possible that this new Apple strategy while obviously harmful to the computer makers in general and to Microsoft somewhat could actually be most dangerous to the emerging Linux OS environment. In fact it could kill Linux and in some ways actually benefit Microsoft in the long term."

Sincerely

Zab The Fab