I was going to buy an iBook... should I still?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
With all this talk of the switch to intel, should I wait to buy any more Apple hardware? And if I don't, will the machine be totally redundant in 3 years after everyone has made the switch?

The iBook was for my mother, and she isn't the sort of person who will want to update her mac just because she still has a G4 chip.

I think Apple is going to take a big hit from consumers who think they now have to wait. - ala me.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    moazammoazam Posts: 136member
    Your new iBook is not going to be obsolete in 3 years, well, at least not for the reasons you mentioned. In 3 years time, developers will be shipping 'fat' binaries which automatically run on both x86 and PPC based Macs. This means your iBook with a PPC chip will still run this new software just fine.

On the other hand, in 3 years, your machine will be considered a tad slow and outdated. Any machine will. Think about it, 3 years ago at this time, the iBook was a 600-700mhz *G3* with a 16mb graphics card. Would you want this machine to run Tiger and do daily work everyday? No. Could you? Sure.

The same will be true for your new iBook in 3 years.

-M
  • Reply 2 of 16
    mynameismynameis Posts: 74member
    Have you watched the entire Keynote address? I know it is over an hour long but I think watching it will help you make a decision. http://stream.apple.akadns.net/

When I first heard about the transition I was uncertain about buying any of the current PPC hardware but after watching the keynote, I don't think I would have a problem with it, except for the fact that he mentions that newer models are coming out that are going to be based on PowerPC before the Intel stuff ever arrives and since the iBook is pretty much due for an update...
  • Reply 3 of 16
    sammicksammick Posts: 416member
    The fat binaries sound just great--but I can see updating Photoshop and Office again, and any other new software that I just bought for the G5 Mac.

If I just HAD to get a new computer, I guess I would, but if I were thinking of trading in my G4 for a new G5, I personally would wait.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    Buy it now. Damn the torpedoes, Full speed ahead! I would rather have a G4 laptop then a Rev1 Mac/tel laptop.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    go for it... an intel mac will never be better (in my mind) thena pure mac... i'd put money on it that your ibook will be superior by far over the intel and mac combo...
  • Reply 6 of 16
    sammicksammick Posts: 416member
    Don't you think 'it's the software stupid?"

The Intel based Macs should be faster, run cooler and be more compatible with any new software that comes out.

The new computers would still have the Mac OS.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by sammick

Don't you think 'it's the software stupid?"

The Intel based Macs should be faster, run cooler and be more compatible with any new software that comes out.

The new computers would still have the Mac OS.

should it??? its just kind of hard for me to see that intel and mac are coming together as 1 unit/partners.... but thats me....
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Why would Apple be any less integrated with Intel than it has been with Freescale/IBM? It's just one part out of the whole. I don't understand all the panic (not from you, just in general). it's not justified.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fireball1244

Why would Apple be any less integrated with Intel than it has been with Freescale/IBM? It's just one part out of the whole. I don't understand all the panic (not from you, just in general). it's not justified.

as far as my knowledge, intel never had the greatest rep as far as i know.. but thats just me..... ever since i switched to mac, i was convinced to never turn back to MS or anyhhting that such.... thats just my opinion...
  • Reply 10 of 16
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    One thing I love about Apple is that they tend to be a practical company. When new technology comes out that could enhance the Mac, they jump on it. If something isn't working out, they drop it and move to the better tech.

Right now, IBM is focused on Cell and other chips made for console gaming. They're not building the chips Apple needs. Intel is. OS X is portable. So, Steve is doing the practical thing, and moving to Intel.

Works for me.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Can new iBooks be hooked up to Apple displays? Apple doesn't mention anything about iBooks in their system requirements for the monitors.

I am thinking the combination of a 12 inch iBook and a 20 inch Apple display could make me forget all about the uncertainty of an Intel future. Plus, the actual iBook investment would be mitigated so I could flip it if MacTel blew me away next year.

Does an iBook and a 20 inch monitor go together like peas and carrots? Or is it oil and water?
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Am I getting this right that the iBook does not have a DVI connector? So minis can be hooked up to LCDs but not iBooks? Can iBooks hook up to a fat CRT?

My plan is showing weakness already!
  • Reply 13 of 16
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Quote:

Originally posted by specialkbdc

Am I getting this right that the iBook does not have a DVI connector? So minis can be hooked up to LCDs but not iBooks? Can iBooks hook up to a fat CRT?

My plan is showing weakness already!

The iBooks support VGA but not DVI. There are LCDs that sport both VGA and DVI connections, so look for one of those.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    formerlurkerformerlurker Posts: 2,686member
    If your mother already has a Mac that's not too terribly old, you might want to wait.

If she has a Windows machine, or no machine, then she should get the iBook ASAP.

It's really that simple!
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kesh

The iBooks support VGA but not DVI. There are LCDs that sport both VGA and DVI connections, so look for one of those.

Roger that Kesh. Thanks.

Although, I am starting to think a 12inch Powerbook might look reasonably decent hooked up to a big Apple LCD.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by specialkbdc

Roger that Kesh. Thanks.

Although, I am starting to think a 12inch Powerbook might look reasonably decent hooked up to a big Apple LCD.

powerbooks can be, i havnt tried mine yet, but theres a port for it... what i want to do and am going to do when i feel like it, is im gong to get a wired keyboard and mouse (w/ scroll wheel) for like 15$ keyboard(unless its apple which prolly will be nad that'll be 30), then a non apple mouse b/c i want my mouse w/ the scroll wheel