Apple leaked the Intel info?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
At Apple's keynote, on the screen popped up, "It's True!" with the "e" hanging as a play on of Intels logo. We'll, whats true? That is, Apple knew that there were rumors about an Intel chip the weekend before the WWDC, but I doubt they botherd to change the keynote over that weekend beacuse of the rumors. This implies that they new about the leaks ahead of time while they were making the keynote...possibly implying they leaked the information.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    jimdreamworxjimdreamworx Posts: 1,095member
    Quote:

Originally posted by icfireball

...I doubt they botherd to change the keynote over that weekend beacuse of the rumors...

How difficult could it be to put in another slide and script something?
  • Reply 2 of 18
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    also why is this in future hardware?
  • Reply 3 of 18
    jwdawsojwdawso Posts: 389member
    I believe Apple did - the developers needed to be prepared for this. They needed time to think about it, or else no one would have listened to Jobs once he stunned them with "Transitions".
  • Reply 4 of 18
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    It makes sense. Sites like Anandtech went to cover WWDC just to see if the rumors were true and they are far from alone in that respect.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    thetsartthetsart Posts: 11member
    I don't know who leaked the information (although I suspect it was Apple, considering the decisive language used by c|net) but it was a good thing it was, otherwise I suspect the reaction in the audience would have been very different.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    This also fully backs up the apple position on rumor sites not being actual journalists. The WSJ broke the story and that is OK but if AI did it would be a violation of their trade secret(s)

Give me a break.

These sites provide apple with far more than we take.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    spyderspyder Posts: 170member
    Do you now how long it takes to make that slide in Keynote? I just did it, about 40 seconds. And I've only fooled around with Keynote before, never even really did anything similar. So what would it take someone who was familiar with doing slides? 10-15 seconds probably. Give me a break, you're reading way too much into this. At least come up with a better argument to back up your statements than a chincy slide.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Why do people read so much into things? First, this story was a "smokescreen" deliberately planted by Apple to surprise us all with a G5 powerbook or some such. Now it was intentionally leaked by Apple. Take things at face value sometimes: Jobs hates leaks. They prosecute leakers. There's nothing for them to gain by doing it. Hence, they didn't leak it.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Why do people read so much into things? First, this story was a "smokescreen" deliberately planted by Apple to surprise us all with a G5 powerbook or some such. Now it was intentionally leaked by Apple. Take things at face value sometimes: Jobs hates leaks. They prosecute leakers. There's nothing for them to gain by doing it. Hence, they didn't leak it.

In this case, there was a lot for them to gain. WWDC isn't an event that generally gets a lot of mainstream press attention. A carefully crafted tidbit (not too much, not too little, just enough to get appetites whetted), at the right time (three days beforehand - not so much time for the spread of illogical arguments, just enough time to spread the idea), and blammo - every press outlet was watching this WWDC closely to see if it was going to happen.

It primed the pump, so to speak, and prevented the type of massive error propagation after the announcement... oh wait, nevermind, that happened anyway.

I don't think it was a smokescreen... I think it was deliberate to attract attention.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

You are totally right, about them hating unintentional leaks. I would then fully expect to see a lawsuit against cnet and WSJ, if this leak was not planned.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Now now, you know that Apple is only out to screw the hardworking independent altruistic journalist...
  • Reply 12 of 18
    spyderspyder Posts: 170member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tulkas

You are totally right, about them hating unintentional leaks. I would then fully expect to see a lawsuit against cnet and WSJ, if this leak was not planned.

Detailing a planned switch in chips is totally different than revealing the design/specs of a new product that hasn't been released yet.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    There is no way this was not a planned leak. It was far better to have a prepared crowd than a genuinely surprised one.

Of course, I think it would have been much better to have dropped the bomb on the website with a shit-ton of documentation and allowed the apologists to get their guns ready for the media onslaught instead of surprising them with it along with everyone else.

They should've had a whole crack squad of Internet mavens prepped and ready to roll.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by icfireball

At Apple's keynote, on the screen popped up, "It's True!" with the "e" hanging as a play on of Intels logo. We'll, whats true? That is, Apple knew that there were rumors about an Intel chip the weekend before the WWDC, but I doubt they botherd to change the keynote over that weekend beacuse of the rumors. This implies that they new about the leaks ahead of time while they were making the keynote...possibly implying they leaked the information.

Yes, because we all know how hard it is to change one slide in Keynote.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

In this case, there was a lot for them to gain. WWDC isn't an event that generally gets a lot of mainstream press attention. A carefully crafted tidbit (not too much, not too little, just enough to get appetites whetted), at the right time (three days beforehand - not so much time for the spread of illogical arguments, just enough time to spread the idea), and blammo - every press outlet was watching this WWDC closely to see if it was going to happen.

It primed the pump, so to speak, and prevented the type of massive error propagation after the announcement... oh wait, nevermind, that happened anyway.

I don't think it was a smokescreen... I think it was deliberate to attract attention.

You are such an educated logic monster.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    objra10objra10 Posts: 679member
    I'm with Grov. There is no way this wasn't a planned leak. Come on, it was the smartest move. What did they lose? Nothing - but they gained huge anticipation, and softened the water....
  • Reply 17 of 18
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

That would make sense if they were releasing a new iMac or something that they wanted to market. They don't need attention for this right now - if anything, attention to this loses them sales. They want people to keep buying those PowerPC Macs and not fret about transitions. They'd be happy if only these developers knew their plans.

In the end, we don't know, but you're choosing to believe the "conspiracy theory;" I'll choose to believe that things are what they seem.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I'm going with the crowd that says Apple, in fact, DID leak this beforehand. Heck, they might have done it twice because it didn't work a few weeks ago when it was revealed Apple was in "talks" with Intel. That apparently didn't stir up enough for long enough, so they did it again. I totally agree that it was better to give developers a soft landing than a big surprise party.

And Apple has known this will hurt their sales. They know it's going to be a sticky PR situation for a while. That's why they've been building up their cash reserves and sitting on it. A key PR strategy is that YOU form your message to the public. Even if that message is uncomfortable, if you have control over it, you're better off.