Weakened RDF?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Are we seeing the move away from secrecy concerning products? I mean, it's not like Apple can keep intel's roadmap under wraps. The only thing that's not known is the design directions

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    spyderspyder Posts: 170member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bobbagum

Are we seeing the move away from secrecy concerning products? I mean, it's not like Apple can keep intel's roadmap under wraps. The only thing that's not known is the design directions

I imagine. Apple doesn't have enough pull over at Intel to make them suddenly change whatever they've been doing for the past x amount of years (ie making their roadmap clearly available to the public).
  • Reply 2 of 4
    thetsartthetsart Posts: 11member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bobbagum

Good point. Although, there are many other details to a product announcement besides the processor, such as the design, storage, etc.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Consider also that they *were* able to keep the confirmation of OS X on x86 out of the limelight. Rumors abounded, and the assumption was that at least some of the OS was on Intel from time to time, but to have it come to light that actually, it was a dual-development track all along is rather stunning.

And more importantly, they were able to stop the leaks of the transition announcement. I believe the 'leak' to Cnet was a planned one. It was true, it got the press interested in the subject a mere weekend before it happened, and it got buzz going. Just the right amount of info, at the right time.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    pdubyupdubyu Posts: 13member
    Secrecy was an overall bad thing for Apple, IMO. All it did was make people wait because they were concerned something new might be around the corner.

How many threads were started on this forum to "confirm" new products based on the the phases of the moon, tea leaves, or just as a way to get people excited, etc.?

If Apple wants to become a sure and steady ship, they have come out with product refreshes regularly. Dell makes no headlines when their shipping CPU speeds increase by 200 MHz.

The leak was definitely intentional. If that Intel bombshell dropped without rumors, everyone would have been too glazed to hear anything else Steve said.

I think the press coverage would have been just as much with or without the rumors. The news would have warranted it.