Garageband

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
okay, sooner or later i am getting a iBook and it comes with iLife 05 *that has garageband*and i have a keyboard{as in a piano}...and i was wondering how to get it to work on garageband. do i need a certain wire or how do i do it??

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Most keyboards use a USB connection, so in that case, you would need a standard A to B USB cable. The A side looks like a square, which plugs into the keyboard, and the B side looks like the familiar USB plug that plugs into the computer. You shouldn't need to load any drivers, but if you do, you can find them on the keyboard manufacturers website. For my keyboard: a Yamaha, I didn't need drivers, just plugged it into the computer, open garageband and it worked.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by xxhhwhitexx

okay, sooner or later i am getting a imac and it comes with iLife 05 *that has garageband*and i have a keyboard{as in a piano}...and i was wondering how to get it to work on garageband. do i need a certain wire or how do i do it??

should have a cable or something that plugs ionto the back of the computer from the keyboard
  • Reply 3 of 7
    **okay, sooner or later i am getting a imac and it comes with iLife 05 *that has garageband*and i have a keyboard{as in a piano}...and i was wondering how to get it to work on garageband. do i need a certain wire or how do i do it??**

Tell me what kind of piano you're wanting to use with GarageBand with and I can give you step-by-step instructions -because it depends on the mac you're using, the keyboard you're using and how you want to record.

Right now I'm assuming you want to record the sound of the piano as a Real Instrument - basically using GarageBand as a fancy digital audio recorder.

If you've got a Mac with analog audio inputs, you can just take the line-level output of an instrument or audio mixer and run it into the mac using a cord that will adapt whatever you're plugging into the Mac to a 1/8" stereo - that is, if you simply want to record audio from the piano as a Real Instrument track.

If your Mac doesn't have an analog input, you'll have to get a USB audio interface to get the audio converted to digital data - pro versions are around $100US and up. There's also a device by Griffith (I think it's called iMic? Not sure about that name) that takes an analog 1/8" stereo plug like older Macs have, for around $50.

If you're wanting to control the software synthesizers within GarageBand, you'll need a USB/MIDI keyboard controller or keyboard with a MIDI out jack. If you've got a keyboard with just MIDI but no USB, a USB-to-MIDI interface is needed - they start at around $40.

Feel free to email me privately if you have more questions.....
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Its not a grand piano or anything, its a keyboard. I have a Yamaha PSR - 275 and i'm getting a 14" iBook G4.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    You don't want to record a keyboard like that as a "Real Instrument." And I doubt that keyboard has a built-in USB interface.

You want a USB-MIDI interface. Something like this. Apple also sells some through their web site.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    is the Edirol UM-1SX USB-Midi Interface on the apple store the same as the UM-1EX USB MIDI Interface on edirol.com ? becuase i would probobly buy it on the online apple store
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by xxhhwhitexx

is the Edirol UM-1SX USB-Midi Interface on the apple store the same as the UM-1EX USB MIDI Interface on edirol.com ? becuase i would probobly buy it on the online apple store

same guts, different hookups. the one from the apple store has midi jacks and will need midi cables to go from the interface to the instrument. the one from edirol has midi plugs and will simply plug into the midi in and out jacks of your PSR275. just bear in mind that you'll have to have your keyboard closer to the computer with the Edirol version, vs. the convenience of having more latitude in your studio layout with the Apple-supplied version - but you'll have the expense of having to buy two MIDI cables (about $10 each around here for 10-ft.)

And BRussell is right, you wouldn't record the PSR275 as a Real Instrument in GarageBand (according to the specs it doesn't appear to have a line-level audio output. If you *really* had to record the *actual sound of the PSR275 because nothing in GB will do*, you *could* use the headphone out jack. But - THIS IS *NOT* RECOMMENDED, chances are you'll get too high a level from the PSR to keep the sound from being distorted, possibly even damage your input circuitry).....but the PSR should make an excellent input device for the MIDI "soft synths" in GarageBand.....

The synth engines in GB are IMHO better sounds than the PSR is capable of producing anyway (just an opinion based on playing various PSRs over the years, up to a year or so ago.) They offer much more control over the actual sounds. On every PSR I've yet played, you basically get to pick a sound from their list and add chorus, reverb and/or echo (delay)- in GarageBand you can start with one of the factory sounds and tweeze them into something entirely different and unique. AND still have chorus, reverb and delay available to boot.