Normal PowerBook temperture ?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
What is the normal powerbook temperature ?

I have recently had a LOT of system freezes (about 6-7 in two days). The computer seems to get really hot. Then one or two applications crashes, and then after a while the whole computer freezed. No kernel panic screen, but the mouse pointer freeses on the screen, and the computer is unresponsive. Sometimes (if iTunes is on) the tenth of a second of music is "looped" continously.

I downloaded Termograph X and it reports the temperature of my CPU to be 55 degrees, and its not doing all that much at the moment. in fact, running top reprts that over 50% of the CPU is idle.

Temperature Monitor reports the same temperature...

Edit: I have a PowerBook G4 1.25GHz (PPC 7450) with 1GB Ram...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    tekmatetekmate Posts: 134member
    Raise it up off the surface of the table some bottle caps or cd cases work well and train a fan on it if the lockups disappear then it is definately heat related.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    aslan^aslan^ Posts: 599member
    Do you have one of the faulty batteries ?
  • Reply 3 of 10
    boemaneboemane Posts: 311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AsLan^

Do you have one of the faulty batteries ?

Not according to apple. my serial number is not one of the faulty ones and it keeps a constant 32 degree temperature.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    keotkeot Posts: 116member
    I have a 1.67GHz PowerBook and the temperatures readings I'm getting are:-

CPU: idle: 45°C load: >60°C

Battery: 35°C

Try running top with top -s 10 so it updates every 10 seconds and hence uses less CPU. 50% load when idle seems a tad too much.

It could well be dust. Tried a can of compressed air along the air vents?
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by keot

I have a 1.67GHz PowerBook and the temperatures readings I'm getting are:-

CPU: idle: 45°C load: >60°C

Battery: 35°C

Try running top with top -s 10 so it updates every 10 seconds and hence uses less CPU. 50% load when idle seems a tad too much.

It could well be dust. Tried a can of compressed air along the air vents?

Okay, so that's about the same as I got. I got it down to about 45 degrees when I had it do nothing for about an hour or so. when I use it its 55 and above. its just my opinion that 55 degrees is too high for "idle" temperature, meaning thats the temperature when I do anything (doesn't really matter what exactly).
  • Reply 6 of 10
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    On a 1.25GHz PB

Without touching the keyboard Activity Monitor shows 85-95% idle time.

With me doing some light browsing, typing and such ThermographX shows the CPU is at 45C to 46C. The battery is 33C.

Something is using a lot of processor time. Unless I am doing something like converting music with iTunes then the idle time is usually well over 75%. Somebody is using a lot of processor time.

Also, have you set the Energy Saver to normal values? If you leave it at maximum performance the machine will run hot.

Does the fan come on? Maybe there is a hardware problem?
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by neutrino23

On a 1.25GHz PB

Without touching the keyboard Activity Monitor shows 85-95% idle time.

With me doing some light browsing, typing and such ThermographX shows the CPU is at 45C to 46C. The battery is 33C.

Something is using a lot of processor time. Unless I am doing something like converting music with iTunes then the idle time is usually well over 75%. Somebody is using a lot of processor time.

Also, have you set the Energy Saver to normal values? If you leave it at maximum performance the machine will run hot.

Does the fan come on? Maybe there is a hardware problem?

Okay. Leaving it on over night, the temperature was down to 41 degrees the next morning. I have the CPU speed set to "automatic" with a "custom" setup for when the monitor goes darker and turns off, etc.

The fan kicks in every now and again when the CPU goes above 59 or so.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    I'd guess the CPU temperature is normal and that the freezes are due to another cause.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    webwillywebwilly Posts: 11member
    My 15" AlBook 1.33 has the cpu set to automatic and is at about 30% CPU load but the temperature of the processor is still 61 degrees C. It never goes over 64 but the fan is on quite a lot of the time. The heat is generated when I quickly browse through lots of webpages, not even a very intensive task. The battery is only at 32 degrees so it doesn't seem to be the source of the problem. The PB is much hotter than my ibook used to be, anyone got any ideas? Should it be this hot or is there something wrong?
  • Reply 10 of 10
    i dunno how hot my powerbook 15" gets, however, i do know that it gets pretty hot, and one day when i copied my music over, to it, i had it going for about 5hrs or so straight (didnt take that long to copy over music) however, when i used it for that long, it got hot, but nothing ever froze....