Powermacs and RAM upgrades

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
While the upper-tier of the DP Powermac range has allowed users to install up to 8 GB of RAM, I have two questions regarding the efficacy of this.

1. Since the processors are 'dual', does this mean that each processor works with half the ram installed? i.e. is that why you have to install in pairs? So, e.g. having 2 GB of RAM in a Powermac 2.3 Ghz G5 is really kind of... split in half and 'effectively' like 1 GB by the fact that two processors are working?

I assume not, but then why is installing in pairs required?

2. While a user can install up to 8 GB of RAM, I've heard the occasional pundit or poster mention that the benefit of adding more RAM falls off at some point - I hear 2.5 GB and 4 GB as different purported points at which additional RAM would have, at best, a marginal effect. Is this true, and if so, at what point does this tend to happen - 2.5? 4? or some other level?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Engine Joe

While the upper-tier of the DP Powermac range has allowed users to install up to 8 GB of RAM, I have two questions regarding the efficacy of this.

1. Since the processors are 'dual', does this mean that each processor works with half the ram installed? i.e. is that why you have to install in pairs? So, e.g. having 2 GB of RAM in a Powermac 2.3 Ghz G5 is really kind of... split in half and 'effectively' like 1 GB by the fact that two processors are working?

I assume not, but then why is installing in pairs required?

2. While a user can install up to 8 GB of RAM, I've heard the occasional pundit or poster mention that the benefit of adding more RAM falls off at some point - I hear 2.5 GB and 4 GB as different purported points at which additional RAM would have, at best, a marginal effect. Is this true, and if so, at what point does this tend to happen - 2.5? 4? or some other level?

Firstly some computers like to have pairs of RAM - I don't know why but it applies to a lot of desktops. Secondly it depends on your use of the computer. Most users wouldn't notice more than 2GB. Photoshop can't use 8GB of RAM anyway so it depends on use.