Does the switch mean MS Office will get updated code and result in faster performance

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Since everyone's code has to be brought up to speed before a recompile to intel, does this mean that MS Office will get an extensive rewrite that will improve performance?

Sounds like MS will be forced to improve something.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

Since everyone's code has to be brought up to speed before a recompile to intel, does this mean that MS Office will get an extensive rewrite that will improve performance?

Sounds like MS will be forced to improve something.

The short answer to your question is "No." MacOS X is not a processor. It is a collection of APIs. The APIs of MacOS X/86 will be the same as those of MacOS X/PPC. The fact that they compile to different binaries not withstanding. Many people claim--and I'm inclined to agree--that Office:mac is superior to Office:win. Whether you agree or disagree, none of our opinions will change when we upgrade our Macs to Intel-based models.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Take this with a healthy pile of salt, but a little birdie told me that a certain very *large* sofware company was dead-set on making all their apps Cocoa. MS was not explicitly mentioned, mind you.

While Carbon is potentially even faster than Cocoa by a bit, considering the amount of old crufty code in most Office apps, this would potentially speed up the apps quite a bit, and also potentially make development time that much faster for new versions, instead of waiting for 2-3 years between versions.